Status update

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowy Rivers

Minister of Fire
Feb 7, 2010
NW Oregon
Been off doing my thing.

We contracted a new roof for the house, and then with all the dust from the roof getting thumped and worked on we decided to do a end to end cleaning.

Down came the drapes, YUCK ... time for new drapes in the living/dinning room

Walls needed a paint job.

Oh wow, carpet sucks too.

Scared up about 700 sq ft of PERGO laminate with the pad for $200 :)

Bought new drapes.
Custom made the drapery rods.

Floor done, Walls nearly complete except for a couple little spots.

Small Whitfield looked really out of place against a bare freshly painted wall.

Decided to get dramatic and do a wall treatment behind the stove and make it look like a grand hearth.

Just about done with the project.

Here are a few pics of old and new

Attachments

• Drapes old.jpg
    Drapes old.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 271
  • First piecedown.jpg
    First piecedown.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 270
  • West to east dinning room.jpg
    West to east dinning room.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 285
  • West to east dinning room2.jpg
    West to east dinning room2.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 252
  • Lingroom looking northPergo going in.jpg
    Lingroom looking northPergo going in.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 278
  • NW..West wall..Quad..North wall.jpg
    NW..West wall..Quad..North wall.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 254
More pics of the new

When the piccy of the hearth was taken there is still a bit of hand touch up work and things to be finished on the project.

The wood box (Fake) still needs more work and the fake logs painted in over a flat black backdrop.

Tedious hand work, but the look is gonna add a lot of charm to the room.

Now I need to at least repaint the top of the stove as it shows a lot of loving and use.

Attachments

• Kitchen dinningtransition.jpg
    Kitchen dinningtransition.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 243
  • LookingNorthfloor done.jpg
    LookingNorthfloor done.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 250
  • SWcornerdone.jpg
    SWcornerdone.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 254
  • Dinning room drape complete.jpg
    Dinning room drape complete.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 262
  • Lookingnorth..all done.jpg
    Lookingnorth..all done.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 258
  • Newwest drapes.jpg
    Newwest drapes.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 252
  • Hearthpainted1.jpg
    Hearthpainted1.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:
You have been one very occupied person Looks good

Thanks

Totally fried now.

Started this back in mid May when we decided to do the remodel.

A few tid bits left to get finished, but pretty much done.

one small wall area in the entry from the laundry room that still has to be painted.

What a job.

Snapped these yesterday.

Just need to paint in the fake logs in the wood box to call this good.

Attachments

• Hearth nearing completion2.jpg
    Hearth nearing completion2.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 174
  • Hearth nearing completion1.jpg
    Hearth nearing completion1.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 176
You have been a busy lady! Just you and the Hubby doing the work or other helping hands? "Faux Hearth" adds a nice touch and likely took a lot of time to prep. not to mention paint out.

What I find is that other areas get ignored when you take on a big job like this .... even though you're beat, still likely have to catch up with yard work, etc. I've been flying solo on our yard work and, with the rain, just get one round done and have to start all over. Small yard at the house but another 2 acre corner lot with a pile of ditching that has to be done with a weed eater. Trimming around trees and the ditches gets old fast... Flowers are looking good though:)

Just me and the other half beating on this thing.

YARD WORK WASSSSAT ??

We are very rural and use a rear PTO mower on the tractor to keep the grass/weeds down.

The idea of the wall decor has been in my mind since we did the similar thing in the family room back in 2010.

After the wall had the new paint (Revere Pewter) the prep work was pretty minimal.

A few measurements, then snooped about online for a piccy of a hearth/fireplace that I liked.

Next task was tapping off the grout lines followed by painting the stones in with a brush.

Peel off the tape and then touch up the places that the paint bled under the tape.

Do some hand work on the stones to get rid of a lot of the very sharp unnatural corners.

A couple hours of hand work was all.

Still have to do the little pile of fake logs in the wood box.

I did the flat black yesterday and will get after the logs soon.

Today's task is to get rid of some unwanted furniture left over from the home office that has been streamlined a lot.

Getting rid of 600 SQ ft of old well used (read that as FILTHY) carpet and installing the Pergo was a blessing.

23 years on the carpet is waaaaaaay tooooooooooooo long.

The Pergo is so easy to take care of.

This may not be a genuine stone fireplace/hearth of epic proportions, but it sure did add some serious pazazz to the room.

The little Whitfield really took a step up with the new backdrop.

The new drapes and related hardware were a much needed change as well.

Thanks to a great sale at JC PENNY
Buy one get one for a Penny

All told the total cost for the entire living/dinning makeover was less than $1000

Likely in the $825 range

Drapes were about $300 for everything
The rods were custom made by me $175 including the Finials
Pergo was $200 Craig's list score
Paint and stuff was about $150

Lotsa blood sweat and tears (Priceless) ;)

Good pricing ... We are at that point of sorting through stuff and moving it on with children or getting rid of. Amazing what gets collected over the years.

The yard work is a bit of a priority as it will be 3 weeks before trimming gets done again. Hubby going to his commencement in Salt Lake City and we are doing a trip around the northwest. Daughter's wedding shortly after we return. We are hosting a BBQ the day after... in the corner yard. Last year's yard prep for son's wedding there lets me know exactly how much work goes into it all... lots:(

The Kubota with the belly mower helps for the bulk of the yard. We picked up a cart to tow behind (friend got creative with an old oil tank cut in half and an axle) that lets me haul down the weed eater and supplies. Have to bring my princess in her chariot too ... my german shepherd;lol

Work never ends.

WOW! Come on over and down to Kentucky, Snowy. My place would love for you to visit. I'm about to re-roof a part of my place. Does that help score me any points? LOL! This place could probably use a good shake down as well. I'm a contractor and always have unfinished stuff here. It'll get done one day and I might as well just keep on going in laps working. By the time I get the other end done the finished stuff will be due for a make over.

All I know is that I am not adding any more space to this joint!

Reactions: railfanron
Hey troops

Still busy, but decided to drop by see wasssssup

Changed my Avatar to something a little more spiffy.

LR/DR makeover done (With a couple little things still hanging loose due to lack of enthusiasm) ;lol

Took a hiatus and decided to build a new computer and got mired in that project.

Actually the computer project is sort of related to the completion of the LR/DR thing.

I ended up with a fair amount of the Pergo left over and decided that it could best serve in my little office room (Smallest extra bedroom that has been my office for years.

So decided to do a wall mount open case PC and this will allow the removal of a large table and sundry other junk thats sitting on the floor.

Come fall the plan is to use the remaining pergo and replace the carpet.

So the new puter is pretty well finished with it's shakedown cruise and seems to be working great.

Used a few year old Asus Gamer board in a new Thermaltake Core P5 open case.

Added the 5-1/4 bays (Case had none)
Water cooling is on the agenda (Cause I can)

The case was made with water in mind.

Mounted the unit on a articulating TV wall mount to keep the place neat. (And free up floor space)

Anyway.

On the stove side of things.

Been a weird summer, with hot, then cool and damp then hot.

Ran the LITTLE WHIT on July 4th in the morning, and then again on the 9th.

We ran it just a couple days ago for a few hours in the morning.

We have never had fires in July and absolutely never in August since we have been in this house.
22 years now.

Weather is hot again for a few days.

Stove season is approaching and will be here before ya know it.

Right now it's AC TIME

Hope everyone is doing well

Snowy

Here are a couple pix of the new puter

Attachments

• P5..1.JPG
    P5..1.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 126
  • P5..2.JPG
    P5..2.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 132
Reactions: bags
Great job on the remodel,and always interesting read,
Those hazelnut post from last year are still with me.
East coast 93 deg. 105 heat index and starting to look for pellets zip code 21875.
Thanks again
Ed

Reactions: bags
Thanks.

Good luck on the pellet hunt.

We won't start worrying about shells until October (After harvest is going good)

Last season we got caught with our pants down. We waited until the end of November and things were almost finished up.

Not gonna wait this year.

Will get stuff done early this year.

Once the weather is nasty, it's no fun having to dodge the rain

Status
Not open for further replies.