Steam or smoke?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diabel

Minister of Fire
Jan 11, 2008
Ottawa, ON
It is 0*F out there with a beautiful full moon night, I can see stuff coming out of the stack...I think it is steam!

If it's white or very light gray and dissipates quickly, it's probably moisture.

If it's darker, and hangs around longer, it's smoke.

-SF

What the hell are you doing out there? Rick

fossil said:

I had to cool down a bit!

SlyFerret said:
If it's white or very light gray and dissipates quickly, it's probably moisture.

If it's darker, and hangs around longer, it's smoke.

-SF

Thanks, it vanishes very quickly & it looks white.

Tonight's the biggest moon you are going to see in quite a while. Due to its wobbly orbit the moon is closer tonight than it has been in years. Enjoy the view.

(Pouring rain here and temp just dropped 10 degrees in the past hour. Winds are shifting to the north, uh oh.)

BG, we are gettting what you have later this weekend.

Sideways snow here. Temp plummeting. Rick

fossil said:

What? You don't check for smoke every 30 minutes like the rest of us? You mean after some point in time I may actually not look forward to first light in the morning so I can rush out in my PJ's and a jacket to make sure that there isn't smoke?

I look at mine all the time, even in the summer ....am I ever proud of myself in the summer ...."perfect" burn :lol:

That was some moon last night. Made the trip to the wood stack enjoyable. I actually had a shadow on the snow from my stack, the moisture/smoke part that is.
It was so calm here in Ohio that I did not realize it was so cold. We got down to 10.

That was a beautiful moon last night. i was outside and noticed steam coming from both chimneys last night, it was quite a sight. It was a bit difficult to see what color but it was very transluscent and dissipated about 5-10 feet from the chimney tops.

Rockey said:
That was a beautiful moon last night. i was outside and noticed steam coming from both chimneys last night, it was quite a sight. It was a bit difficult to see what color but it was very transluscent and dissipated about 5-10 feet from the chimney tops.

That is exactly what I saw, light color steam/smoke going straight up. It's still cold here! Stove is working hard....it gets help from the furnace once in a while :down:

bokehman said:
Slow1 said:
You don't check for smoke every 30 minutes like the rest of us? You mean after some point in time I may actually not look forward to first light in the morning so I can rush out in my PJ's and a jacket to make sure that there isn't smoke?
What, you haven't got one of these?
Scary.. I've been giving serious thought to rigging something like that. I just can't seem to be able to predict when I am and am not smoking yet. I just have to check... I'm getting better at predicting, but I want to know so that my neighbors won't hate me...

We have an Oregon weather station that has a remote station for outside . I wish I could find a gizmo similar to put at the top of our chimney that would let me know temp and humidity of the effluent. Any Ideas?
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.