Steamer for Enameled Stoves Without Griddle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeinMadison

Aug 20, 2006
Hi all
Thanks for your thoughts and expertise. First of all, we've burned a VC Vigilant, VC Defiant Encore, VC Resolute, Jotul 8, and a Jotul 3, and just bought a Jotul Oslo in ivory enamel. I know this is common knowledge, but what a great stove!

Here's the question: What's the best sort of steamer to put on the Oslo? If we had bought the griddle, I wouldn't worry, but I'm concerned about damaging the enamel. What are your thoughts?
Thanks!

If I had a stove that nice, I'd be using one of these:

81pDg6x5%2B7S._SL1500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-HCM...TF8&qid=1356140289&sr=8-4&keywords=humidifier

Even on my black finished stove, I stopped using the steamer a few years ago and haven't looked back. The humidifier does a much better job and the stove top doesn't get mucked up. The old steamer I have is pottery with a chimney like top that never boiled over when on a trivet, however, i'd lose a drop from time to time when loading it from my pitcher and that'd track up the stove top.

At the end of the day, no matter what you put on that finish can possibly damage it with movement. Perhaps the least damaging might be a piece of soapstone, then the steamer of your choice on top, however, it still isn't going to provide much moisture.

Just my 2cents.

pen

...What's the best sort of steamer to put on the Oslo?

None. If the intent is to humidify, get a humidifier. If the intent is to give the air a pleasant scent, use potpourri...dry or candle-heated...or scented candles, or whatever. Nothing you can put on top of that beautiful stove can add significant humidity to your home, and it has the potential to dry out & overheat and damage the stove finish. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.