Steel brush for liner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
i know that the topic has been beaten to death, but here goes. Looking at the instructions for my homesaver roundflex liner (heavywall liner) it says to use a round wire steel brush to sweep liner. I checked and even the light wall option has this same instruction for steel brush. Have always heard to only use poly for steel liner. What gives?

i know that the topic has been beaten to death, but here goes. Looking at the instructions for my homesaver roundflex liner (heavywall liner) it says to use a round wire steel brush to sweep liner. I checked and even the light wall option has this same instruction for steel brush. Have always heard to only use poly for steel liner. What gives?
Having felt the liner first-hand, use poly. Why take the chance of poking a hole?

You arent going to poke a hole in heavy wall with a brush. It just wont happen
Well, there you have it. I'd go with bholler.

A poly brush is, like $12. I'll never use a steel brush in my liner, just no need.

I do use a steel brush in my parents clay flue.

I've been told that a steel brush in a stainless liner could scratch the stainless and damage it at some level and in doing so cause it to start to rust. Since I didn't feel like paying for someone's liner in case that were true I've always used a poly or soft bristled brush on stainless. Professional grade flat steel brushes on terracotta.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
I've been told that a steel brush in a stainless liner could scratch the stainless and damage it at some level and in doing so cause it to start to rust. Since I didn't feel like paying for someone's liner in case that were true I've always used a poly or soft bristled brush on stainless. Professional grade flat steel brushes on terracotta.
We try to avoid carbon steel brushes in stainless as well for that reason. We do use stainless ones though. And if need be we will use a flat wire on a heavy wall. But in this case the manufacturer says it is ok so i would say it is.

We try to avoid carbon steel brushes in stainless as well for that reason. We do use stainless ones though. And if need be we will use a flat wire on a heavy wall. But in this case the manufacturer says it is ok so i would say it is.
What about Class A?

What about Class A?
What about it? If the manufacturer says no metal dont use metal brushes. If they say its ok it is ok. There is still the worry about corosion being caused by traces of carbon steel being left behind. And for the record anything i would do to clean a class a i would do in a heavy wall. They are every bit as durable.

In 20+ years I've never had a class-A or even a stainless liner that hasn't come clean with a poly or soft bristled brush that I can recall. Now that I've said that, tomorrow I'll have to rokleen one <>
Really? We have one on a boiler that needs cleaned with chains every year. I also just did one on an old fisher that took chains also. Yes most clean easily but we have a few every year that doesnt.

In 20+ years I've never had a class-A or even a stainless liner that hasn't come clean with a poly or soft bristled brush that I can recall. Now that I've said that, tomorrow I'll have to rokleen one <>
And i roclean almost everything now.

Really? We have one on a boiler that needs cleaned with chains every year. I also just did one on an old fisher that took chains also. Yes most clean easily but we have a few every year that doesnt.
You need to start beating you customers on a regular basis so they fall into line.

Reactions: bholler
Is roclean short for rotary clean? Like the pro version of a sooteater?
Yes it is one of the first brand pro rotary cleaners available here.

Yeah some just wont listen

According to two of my coworkers who work on the side as sweeps those are the customers that they no longer work for . . . they offer advice and suggestions the first time or two, but after the third or fourth trip out only to find the chimney chocker blocker full of creosote and no change in how and what the customer burns they simply advise the customer to find a new sweep.