steel combustion package for resolute acclaim 2490

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mac2

Oct 11, 2021
toccoa ga
The combustion package on my Resolute acclaim 2490 is deterioated and needs to be replaced. I can fabricate one from plate steel that will replicate the original with all of the needed holes and dimensions. I have been told that the combustion packages function is to channel the air flow in the proper direction and that what I am looking to do will work. I have also asked several stove dealers in the area and they will not voice an opinion and I can understand they are concerned about liability.
What I am looking for is to find out if what I am proposing to is ok , or if it is just plain not a good idea. I have had the stove for a number of years and am tired of replacing the expensive and fragile combustion package. I know there is someone out there that has the experience that I lack that can give some needed guidance.
Thanks mac2

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
I feel your pain. That stove was the one that gave VC a black eye. The newer combustion package is supposed to be made of tougher stuff.

bholler

Chimney sweep
Staff member
Jan 14, 2014
central pa
I feel your pain. That stove was the one that gave VC a black eye. The newer combustion package is supposed to be made of tougher stuff.
It is better but still not what I would call durable.

bholler

Chimney sweep
Staff member
Jan 14, 2014
central pa
The combustion package on my Resolute acclaim 2490 is deterioated and needs to be replaced. I can fabricate one from plate steel that will replicate the original with all of the needed holes and dimensions. I have been told that the combustion packages function is to channel the air flow in the proper direction and that what I am looking to do will work. I have also asked several stove dealers in the area and they will not voice an opinion and I can understand they are concerned about liability.
What I am looking for is to find out if what I am proposing to is ok , or if it is just plain not a good idea. I have had the stove for a number of years and am tired of replacing the expensive and fragile combustion package. I know there is someone out there that has the experience that I lack that can give some needed guidance.
Thanks mac2
I would expect steel to melt or atleast distort badly if it actually works

mac2

Oct 11, 2021
toccoa ga
I would expect steel to melt or atleast distort badly if it actually works
If I up the ante and go to say 1/2 in thick steel, would you expect the same result. I know there are a multitude of stoves made of plate steel, but I wonder if the down draft and the package riding in the center will do as you suggest. Not sure if the plate steel stoves have that kind of baffles inside. I will have to go look at some of them. Thanks for your reply I appreciate it
mac2

bholler

Chimney sweep
Staff member
Jan 14, 2014
central pa
If I up the ante and go to say 1/2 in thick steel, would you expect the same result. I know there are a multitude of stoves made of plate steel, but I wonder if the down draft and the package riding in the center will do as you suggest. Not sure if the plate steel stoves have that kind of baffles inside. I will have to go look at some of them. Thanks for your reply I appreciate it
mac2
The stove body doesn't see anywhere near the heat the secondary combustion chamber will see.

bholler

Chimney sweep
Staff member
Jan 14, 2014
central pa
Hard for me to imagine that the steel would not be more durable than the original package. Maybe someone on the site has had some hands on experience. Thanks for your reply. mac2
I was talking about the new combustion chambers in new Vermont castings stoves.

And no i do not think steel will be more durable. I would be surprised if it made it through a season unless you use some exotic extremely high heat alloy

Diabel

Minister of Fire
Jan 11, 2008
Ottawa, ON
Hard for me to imagine that the steel would not be more durable than the original package. Maybe someone on the site has had some hands on experience. Thanks for your reply. mac2
Can steel take 1700*F ?

Reactions: bholler

ABMax24

Minister of Fire
Sep 18, 2019
Grande Prairie, Alberta, Canada
Steel does not take high temperatures well when exposed to oxygen, which is exactly what this setup will do.

You want another alloy for better results, 400 series stainless is commonly used in wood stoves and inside chimneys, 430 is likely the most common grade you will be able to get your hands on and will yield considerably better results than common mild steel.

mac2

Oct 11, 2021
toccoa ga
Steel does not take high temperatures well when exposed to oxygen, which is exactly what this setup will do.

You want another alloy for better results, 400 series stainless is commonly used in wood stoves and inside chimneys, 430 is likely the most common grade you will be able to get your hands on and will yield considerably better results than common mild steel.
Thank you for the information. It is obvious that there is much for me to learn and I appreciate your responses. I will do the research on the better stainless and compare costs. If it is in the ball game I may give it a try just to see , if not Ill go back to the burn package. Thank you again for your responses.

ABMax24

Minister of Fire
Sep 18, 2019
Grande Prairie, Alberta, Canada
Thank you for the information. It is obvious that there is much for me to learn and I appreciate your responses. I will do the research on the better stainless and compare costs. If it is in the ball game I may give it a try just to see , if not Ill go back to the burn package. Thank you again for your responses.

There is a significant amount of work to building that burn package by the looks of it. Not a simple endeavor at all.

One thing to consider is the UL listing of that stove will likely be voided by this modification, which may have insurance implications.

Reactions: bholler

bholler

Chimney sweep
Staff member
Jan 14, 2014
central pa
I would still be concerned about warping and distortion even with 430 but it atleast haS a chance of working

bholler

Chimney sweep
Staff member
Jan 14, 2014
central pa
thank you for your input. i am looking into the 430 stainless.
mac2
That is a whole lot of effort and money to put into a stove that just isn't very good. I would be looking for a different stove if it was me

Reactions: ABMax24