Steel or ceramic catalytic combuster whats better..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Redburn

Mar 2, 2009
Southern Ct
Does anyone run a steel one or know someone who does and if they like it and how long they have been running one ? I'm just wondering if it is worth the extra money.

I'm using a steel cat. Will never go back to the ceramic one. The wife was constantly over firing the stove causing the ceramic cat to the crack. There is only a very small difference in price between the ceramic and steel. I've been using mine all this season. I see a big difference in heat output and in wood consumption. Now both of those could be attributed to my gaining more knowledge in how and what to burn, but at least I don't have to worry about that thing cracking. Go with the steel...

Thanks for the reply . I like my cat stove u can't even tell I burn it burns so clean and I burn half the wood I did with my non cat stove .I have couple more questions . When did u put it in how many months ago ? When did u check it last ? and what stove do u have and what temp do u run at ?and what brand combuster is it?Thanks

I also think steel is the way to go. They lite off at lower temps and resist thermal shock. The ceramic ones are just too fragile. I've had cracking issues with mine and would of bought a steel one, but Woodstock's warranties keep giving me free ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.