Steel Plate for hearth pad

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

canbycorner

Aug 17, 2015
Leesburg, VA
HI all,
I am real excited as I ordered a Jotul F 500 and I am looking forward to my install.

I came across a few ideas for a simple hearth pad on Houzz where some folks used a steel plate as a hearth pad, painted, and I am really interested in looking at this as an alternative to some of the "ugly" ones for sale out there that my wife hates.Has anybody used this or can provide any guidance on thickness of steel, etc used?

I believe this is ok as my manual says that "Floor protection under the stove must be a UL 1618 Type I Ember Protector composed of non-combustible material for protection from radiant heat, sparks, and embers."

I also found this thread but wanted to re-open this as this was much older. https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/hello-question-regarding-hearth-construction.78575/

HI all,
I am real excited as I ordered a Jotul F 500 and I am looking forward to my install.

I came across a few ideas for a simple hearth pad on Houzz where some folks used a steel plate as a hearth pad, painted, and I am really interested in looking at this as an alternative to some of the "ugly" ones for sale out there that my wife hates.Has anybody used this or can provide any guidance on thickness of steel, etc used?

I believe this is ok as my manual says
HI all,

I believe this is ok as my manual says that "Floor protection under the stove must be a UL 1618 Type I Ember Protector composed of non-combustible material for protection from radiant heat, sparks, and embers."

I also found this thread but wanted to re-open this as this was much older. https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/hello-question-regarding-hearth-construction.78575/

My stove sits on a steel plate. It's a 1/4" thick with a 3/4" lip welded on the edge to make it appear thicker then it is. I built a base so it doesn't sit on the floor. Steel is a good option and looks nice.

Steel would work . . . only ember protection required. Make sure to post a pic here as members here love looking at pics . . . especially something a bit different from the usual.

Reactions: chrisgouliquer
Steel should serve you well. It is only for ember protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.