Stepped up to an new to me used MS361.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hogwildz

Minister of Fire
Welp, the ol Wildthing won't start and I got tired of f'in with it. So I hounded the local Stihl dealer and got him to make from 2 saws 1 for me. New parts as needed and runs excellent. Both were newer, one had piston ring go bad, the other fell from a tree wasting the housing, engine from one, into housing of the other, saw for me ;)
Paid $425 for the saw, $20.00 for a new case, came with a 20" bar, new chain and I bought another new chain (both non safety). All total with tax, $497.09. I should have tried to weasel out of the tax, but for under $500.00 I am happy. I was almost about to buy one new too. He also had a rebuilt 038 that was also pretty nice. I told him when he gets a small limbing saw in used, to let me know.
Dealer is gathering the parts to put the quick adjust chain setup on it also. Really nice guy.

Attachments

• WILDTHING.JPG
    WILDTHING.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 323
  • MS361.JPG
    MS361.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 335
a 361 cant be that old but congrats nice saw!

Man that is going to be like going from a moped to a rice rocket. I just rebuilt a 361 for a guy seems to be a nice saw.

Rob

361 is some good saw.

I had a wild thing too. It did me good for a while. Cant gripe too much for a pawn shop saw but if you want to get real then you got to get a saw.

Dude you got a saw. Aroound here and new saw like that would be $700 or more maybe, case and all, but I know things here go cheaper than most places. People just dont have that kind of money here. I run a Sthil 029, sometimes i wish it was bigger but it takes care of me. That 361 is gonna take real good care of you.

sl7vk said:
My local Stihl dealership charges 599 with a 20 inch bar brand new.

Thats what I paid this July for a new 361. The deals are out there. Nice saw though!!!

good deal, brutha...nice saw! I have never heard of a 'wild thing'.....tell me about it.

RAY_PA said:
good deal, brutha...nice saw! I have never heard of a 'wild thing'.....tell me about it.

You never had the "wild thing".

just kidding. That is a poulan saw sold at walmart new for less than $200. They just put funny stickers on them and even paint some purple and green. Pawn shops have them cheap for 50 to 70. I don't remember how big they are. but they cut wood and dont do bad either when they running good. They dont have anti vib grips. If you let the chain get rough they can make your arms hurt the next day from the shaking. some folks get 5 - 6 years out of them and some just get 2. When they quit they quit, nobody fixes them.

I took mine apart after it quit so see if i could figure it out. They are real simple. I found the crank case cracked behind the sprocked. I thightend up the chain while it was hot. after it cooled off the chain got really tight and I think that is what made the crack.

Status
Not open for further replies.