Stickler log splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brooktrout

Dec 23, 2007
Hamden, NY
Has anyone tried out this "Stickler log splitter" www.thestickler.com It attaches to the hub of a pickup and uses the engine torque to split wood. Their video impressed me. Whaddya think?

I did a search AFTER I posted this, and found some info already there. Sorry guys. :red:

Looks like a death trap to me. A really good way to get your intestines wrapped around the axle of the truck with one false slip.

My dad and I had one that went on the three point hitch and ran off of the tractor PTO. It was my job to feed the blasted thing while he used the maul to finish splitting the rounds with all of the splinters holding them together. Once while working in the snow, the maul came out of his hands and the handle hit my left hand on the side under the little finger. It shattered the bone needless to say and I almost found out how good that thing would screw into my belly.

Needless to say, I never used the thing again. I was only 16 and really didn't think too much about safety. I do now!

I started a thread in the picture forum about the unicorn splitter which is pretty much a tractor mounted stickler. What the stickler lacks is that safety bar that holds the log from spinning and mroe importantly acts to prevent the operator from running his belly into the screw. I would have a very hard time using thess devices without that bar.

Seen them for years at state fair and they seem to work great, (on the deom wood anywa) but I would have a hard time with or without the bar stop!
No estop, no 'let go of the handle and motion stops'.....

scary to me.
k

Status
Not open for further replies.