Stihl 009, 011, 012 (015?) saws

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danno77

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2008
Hamilton, IL
Speak up if you have a small Stihl and you hate it. Speak up if you have one and love it. I've been looking on CL for a while now and see them every once in a while. Maybe someone here even has one that they'd sell me? Even if you have dead one in the barn I can probably work something out with you. 2 or three dead saws can sometimes make a good one with a little work and love.

I'd like one that I can use in the yard for cutting small rounds and sometimes to give the wife something to use.

I have had a 009 for years and it did everything I asked it to do - great for working around the house. I just picked up a used MS180 from a Stihl dealer and LOVE it. Much more power than the 009. Both will do all I need.

I like my 009L very much, never had a problem with it and with a sharp chain it will cut a lot of wood for a small saw.

I have a 15 year old Stihl 023 that has processed all my firewood for the past 5 heating seasons. It has been the best tool I own. I prefer it to my Husky 55 Rancher. Sorry, it's not for sale!

I use my 170s for 90% of my cutting. I can cut for hours with them due to their light weight. The thin kerf (.043) chain makes it perform quite well for such a small saw.

I have an 015L. It is an antique saw, top handle, no chain brake, no anti-vibe. Without the rear handle it is a bit awkward to handle. All that being said, I love that little saw. When branches fall on the yard or some brush needs to be cut, it's my go to tool. I used it as my only saw for a few years, limbing and bucking cords of fallen hardwoods. That little saw just never quits. Does everything it has ever needed to do, just a lot slower than my other saws. I guess it was well worth the $30 I paid, but if money were not an issue I'd go get a modern saw with anti-vibe and a chain brake. If my wife were going to be using it, I'd save up a little more for a safer tool.

thanks for the input. I know there are 009s out there with chain brakes, so that's not a big concern. It will have one for sure if i let my wife use it.

I do go back and forth between getting an old used stihl and just going out and buying a MS170 new. They aren't that expensive, and it would be fun to have a NEW saw. I dunno. there is just something about having an old saw that appeals to me. wouldn't be as self-conscious about how I treat it, either.

I've had an 028 Super for years. Great saw.

Recently I sort of inherited an 011. I love it. Instead of using the 028 for cutting up 8-10" dia or so logs, I use the 011. Much lighter and easier to handle. Cuts great with a sharp chain.

The 028 and 011 make a good combo for my needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.