Stihl 020 advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

baseroom

Feeling the Heat
Nov 18, 2014
Rochester
I love this little saw. 45 years old and has been my no3 limbing saw for quite a while. I did a carb adjustment...runs good for a while then starts bogging. Now won't stay runnin and fuel seems to be leaking out the exhaust. Guessing stuck float. But me being much better at cutting and splitting wood than fine engine repair would love to get some advice on my old metal saw. Is a new carb worth it? How tough to get and install? Thanks all!!!!

Sure, they are worth a new AfterMarket carb. Normally, just 2 bolts and fuel line to remove. Check ebay with your saw model # or pull carb and use that model #. Probably less than $15.

I agree a new carb will run you way less than a new saw. A carb kit is even cheaper!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Carb is one possibility. If it's a points-type ignition, I've heard of failing condensers causing a similar symptom.

Check the crank seals also, At 45 they could be drying out. The easiest way I found was to take the carb off and make a block plate for it. Pull the clutch & flywheel off. Use a hand pump and pressurize the case with a few pounds of air. drop it in a 5 gal. bucket of water and look for bubbles.

They made a couple different 020 saws. The vintage AVP or Super version is only worth a few bucks but the more modern 020T and the rear handle 020 is going for $500 and up. 45 years old probably makes it the vintage I would guess but the modern version is getting pretty old now also.

Reactions: dougand3
This is a top handled 020AV. It looks to be a bear to work on from what I read. Too bad it has always been a strong saw only run occasionally

Change you filter and fuel lines while you're in there!

This is a top handled 020AV. It looks to be a bear to work on from what I read. Too bad it has always been a strong saw only run occasionally

They weren't too bad, but it's been 20 years since I had one apart.