stihl 024 and 36

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

akhilljack

Aug 14, 2008
fairbanks ak
got these from a friend just wondering if they are any good. the 024 is almost new and the 036 is a few years old. run good. what are some problems they have, and what are good about them.

akhilljack said:
got these from a friend just wondering if they are any good. the 024 is almost new and the 036 is a few years old. run good. what are some problems they have, and what are good about them.

Yes, they are good saws and they make a fine combination. One for the little suff and the other for the bigger cuts. I have an old 028 super. The worst issue I had with it is was when some rubber lines needed replaced. There is one rubber line - I think called the impulse line - that gave me fits because it was cracked. The saw would start but then die about the time you went to make a cut. Just have the carbs cleaned and the rubber lins cheked and you should be good to go.

so far i cleaned up the 024 and it looks like brand new and runs good with a nice sharp chain. as soon as i got the 036 i broke the choke/kill switch lever off and have put a new one on. it needed a new chain as well as it was on backwards. so far i am in to it 40 bucks for the chain and switch, file and, scrench (how ever you spell that). i dont like the kill switch/choke lever design and the little u shapped contactor for the kill switch either but thats all i have found i dont like so far. if they made a metal or strongger replacement that would be great. it runs good now though. what is the going rate roughly for these two saws.

akhilljack said:
what is the going rate roughly for these two saws.

A helluva lot more than 40 bucks. Ya got a couple of good saws there. Use 'em.

akhilljack said:
so far i cleaned up the 024 and it looks like brand new and runs good with a nice sharp chain. as soon as i got the 036 i broke the choke/kill switch lever off and have put a new one on. it needed a new chain as well as it was on backwards. so far i am in to it 40 bucks for the chain and switch, file and, scrench (how ever you spell that). i dont like the kill switch/choke lever design and the little u shapped contactor for the kill switch either but thats all i have found i dont like so far. if they made a metal or strongger replacement that would be great. it runs good now though. what is the going rate roughly for these two saws.

You are right about the "U" shaped switch thingy but on the other hand you are the first guy that I know of that broke one.

On the subject of bar and chain - You might want to consider Stihl brand chains. You can do a forum search on the subject of "Sthil chains" and judge for yourself. I am one of several guys here that think Sthil chain is hard to beat. At my dealer they are not any higher priced than the other chains.

You are fixed for saws in my books. Don't let their age bother you none either. I argue that my old 028 will still out-cut its newer replacement, the 280.

Do like Jags said and use them!

As for their market value, I have no idea considering your area. I think once you use them for a while, they will be worth more to you personally than any kind of market value. A good saw of any brand can get to be like a good friend.

price varies so much by appearance and condition.
ebay prices are nuts for used saws. Criags list also seems high.
Generally, any Stihl branded, older generation consumer type saws are $125-275.
IMO, used stuff overpriced on there as you don't know what getting.
You know what these conditions are, and won't get anything newer that would work better for what you could get selling these.
If you need saws, I'd run em until you want to move up in size.
Also helps you learn what you like and don't like and what want to buy in the next saw, for size, wieght, power, bar length, etc.

k

two good saws there!

i went to the saw shop and got a pretty aggresive chain for the 036. i went out and cut a few 36" or bigger trees up today laying on the ground. it just ripped right through them. i do like the saw and it has pretty good power. 20" bar is the perfect size for it, very balanced when cutting.

Status
Not open for further replies.