Stihl 250C spark plug wire: did I break it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
..or is that the way it's supposed to be?

I didn't force the boot off the plug - pried it a little.

I'm hoping it's supposed to poke in the side of the cable, but I've never seen anything like that on a car.

Thanks.

Attachments

• P4210230.jpg
    P4210230.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 7,562
That looks broke to me.

Nope it's not broke.

The little 'pokey' part sticks into the spark plug wire and the little round 'springy' part goes over the top of the spark plug (when it's in the boot). I did the same thing to mine last year, it will go back together with some work. Just push the 'springy' part back into the boot and you might have to make a new hole for the sharp 'pokey' part in the plug wire.

It's not a big deal.....

Thanks Scott. It looked like the end of the wire was broken, but then I saw the hole is the wire. That assembly looks expensive!

Put the pokey thing back into the hole and slip a short bit of heatshrink tubing over it to hold it on so that you can shove it back into the boot with ease.

I found what worked best for me was to put the springy part back into the boot leaving about 1/4" of the pokey part exposed. I'd just stick the pokey part into the hole in the plug wire and push the entire assembly back into the boot. I'm sure there are more technical terms for the pokey and springy parts but you get the point (and it kind of cracked me up as I was typing it).

The pointy thingy is called a vampire tap but not sure what the springy thingy is.

A bit of dish soap will help slide the rubber boot back on. Just keep any moisture out of the insulator around your ignition cable. If you have lithium grease handy then that will work better. It will also help the boot slide back over the plug.
Have fun.

Thanks all for the tips.

I wonder if there's a secret to not taking the springy thing off when taking the boot off the plug.
As I said, I tried to be careful.

Status
Not open for further replies.