Stihl 441 or Husky 576/372

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am lucky and have one close to me but I don't buy anything based on dealer network. In this age with internet your favorite dealer could be in another state. Look how many on this site ordered up an Englander stove from out of state. I bought my Solo and there wasn't even a dealer in my state. Now I'm not sure if there is dealer in the country that sells those saws. But after owning one I would have another if I had to order it from Europe. I probably use my saws more than most and have never been inconvenienced by not having a local dealer. Chances are USPS Fedex or UPS is cheaper than me driving to town anyway.

I guess I am old school, but for me a local dealer is pretty important. Same reason I own a stove carried by a local dealer, and don't drive a car without a local dealership.. as much as I would love to have any of several European cars out there, deal breaker for me.

I will admit to owning a Ducati, and am 60 miles from the dealership, but the owner of the dealership is a neighbor and friend, so no problems if it should need to go in for something..

Yep. I was also in the market (until about an hour ago for this class of saw) and the closest Dolmar dealer is an hour away, while the Husky dealer is 5 minutes. Sthil is about 10 minutes. I was almost going to go ahead with the Dolmar, but it turns out there are no 7900's available that the "local" dealer could lay his hands on.

So I drove 5 minutes down the road and picked up a brand spankin' new 372xp. $830 w/ a power box carrier.
There is a reason the dealer couldn't get any I'm guessing. Very popular saw. Power head is about 650.00 and will run circles around most saws in it class. Not the Solo681 though hehehehe. But the Solo is about a grand now I hear.

There is a reason the dealer couldn't get any I'm guessing. Very popular saw. Power head is about 650.00 and will run circles around most saws in it class. Not the Solo681 though hehehehe. But the Solo is about a grand now I hear.

Actually, he said they didn't pass EPA, and were being redesigned/built. And that NOS at a dealer would be the only answer until sometime later in the year (none left at distributers). And again, since I am not willing to drive/call over the hundreds of miles involved in finding one.. again, to still not have a local dealer..

But if the power head price is "about $650" then it's not a whole lot cheaper than the 372xp I just bought, once you add a 24" bar and chain and box.

Hence the reason it is a cheaper (costing) saw. Get a dealership chain involve SOLELY on Dolmar products and the price goes up.

I hear Husq makes some cool bikes . . .

If yer gonna stick with one saw, go the 460 route. If yer gonna pick up a big saw(660) later, You'll be happy with the 440. I've never run a 441, nor do I see any outside the Stihlership.

I guess I am old school, but for me a local dealer is pretty important. Same reason I own a stove carried by a local dealer, and don't drive a car without a local dealership.. as much as I would love to have any of several European cars out there, deal breaker for me.

I will admit to owning a Ducati, and am 60 miles from the dealership, but the owner of the dealership is a neighbor and friend, so no problems if it should need to go in for something..

Same here . . . while I have and will continue to buy a bunch of stuff on the internet there are some things that I prefer to buy locally . . . mainly things that I know there is a more than likely chance I will need to have serviced at some point since I am mechanically disinclined . . . a side benefit is being able to stop by if there is a minor problem and the dealer is often able to fix it right then and there . . . often at no charge.

I hear Husq makes some cool bikes . . .

If yer gonna stick with one saw, go the 460 route. If yer gonna pick up a big saw(660) later, You'll be happy with the 440. I've never run a 441, nor do I see any outside the Stihlership.

They're on every tree service's truck around here as the go to saw for ground work.

I prefer to fix all my own stuff. You drop off a saw to any shop around here and you might see it next month. When I buy a saw ( unless its a limber) I don't need a box or a chain or even a bar. Got plenty of all that stuff here already. I buy all my saws powerhead only.
BTW I called Solo today to get the scoop. Only 2 models can be sold in the US. I figured the same dimise may have happened to the 7900. However they said if anything happens to my 681 I can send it to the Virginia headquarters. They will repair it in 3days or less and return it. Garanteed no dealer in my area can touch that for service unless it was real minor and if thats the case I wouldn't be going there in the first place. Only reason I could possibly be sending a saw back would be for a spun bearing in the case. All other mx is pretty straight forward stuff. Another thing to note is not all dealers service what they sell (maybe Stihl does but Husky not) or would I want them to. The only dealer I have in my county that really knows saws is the Dolmar dealer because they are a tree service that uses them. Everbody else is amazingly dufus. I had the Echo dealer tell me one day a few yrs back there was no such thing as sqaure cut chain. Couldn't convince him otherwise till I took one in to show him. Had another guy who repairs saws ruin a brandy new sqaure chain. My neighbor took a saw to him to be repaired. I had made him a brand new chain just prior. When he got it back the chain had been sharpened (poorly) to round ground. I promply called him up to say WTF is your problem. He said all his customers get a complimentry sharpen. Dufus didn't even notice it was brand new let alone what kind of chain. Sorry guys unless you really know who you are dealing with I wouldn't deal. Thats why I buy my saws from trusted sources like professional saw builders.

I prefer to fix all my own stuff. You drop off a saw to any shop around here and you might see it next month. When I buy a saw ( unless its a limber) I don't need a box or a chain or even a bar. Got plenty of all that stuff here already. I buy all my saws powerhead only.
BTW I called Solo today to get the scoop. Only 2 models can be sold in the US. I figured the same dimise may have happened to the 7900. However they said if anything happens to my 681 I can send it to the Virginia headquarters. They will repair it in 3days or less and return it. Garanteed no dealer in my area can touch that for service unless it was real minor and if thats the case I wouldn't be going there in the first place. Only reason I could possibly be sending a saw back would be for a spun bearing in the case. All other mx is pretty straight forward stuff. Another thing to note is not all dealers service what they sell (maybe Stihl does but Husky not) or would I want them to. The only dealer I have in my county that really knows saws is the Dolmar dealer because they are a tree service that uses them. Everbody else is amazingly dufus. I had the Echo dealer tell me one day a few yrs back there was no such thing as sqaure cut chain. Couldn't convince him otherwise till I took one in to show him. Had another guy who repairs saws ruin a brandy new sqaure chain. My neighbor took a saw to him to be repaired. I had made him a brand new chain just prior. When he got it back the chain had been sharpened (poorly) to round ground. I promply called him up to say WTF is your problem. He said all his customers get a complimentry sharpen. Dufus didn't even notice it was brand new let alone what kind of chain. Sorry guys unless you really know who you are dealing with I wouldn't deal. Thats why I buy my saws from trusted sources like professional saw builders.

These guys dont build the saw. They widen the ports slam the head muff. modd. retune and use a great chain. for 250.00. Not knocking them but there not builders there modders. Now open class thats pretty much building a saw timbersports7.jpg

These guys dont build the saw. They widen the ports slam the head muff. modd. retune and use a great chain. for 250.00. Not knocking them but there not builders there modders. Now open class thats pretty much building a saw View attachment 64312
You missed the point. I buy my stock saws from the same people. Not talking mods here at all. I own three stock saws right now and 2 came from builders/moders/rebuilders or whatever. People who really know chainsaws. Not from the ag store where there main product is a tractor and chainsaws is a side line.

You missed the point. I buy my stock saws from the same people. Not talking mods here at all. I own three stock saws right now and 2 came from builders/moders/rebuilders or whatever. People who really know chainsaws. Not from the ag store where there main product is a tractor and chainsaws is a side line.

Yea if you cutting lots or even big wood your going to need somthing a little better than a tsc has.

Status
Not open for further replies.