Stihl dealer says....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diabel

Minister of Fire
Jan 11, 2008
Ottawa, ON
So, I am getting ready to pull a trigger on a Alaskan Mill. Stopped by my Stihl dealer today to enquire about ripping chains. Lots in stock (Carleton) 25" for $55.00 which I believe is not a bad price.
What supprises me is his suggestion to double up on oil mix while milling! That is 25:1if I get it right!!! Me thinks, I will gunk up the carb if I do this and she will smoke like there is no tomorrow!!!

What do the experts think?

Last edited:
It sounds a bit steep to me. I would consider 40:1, but maybe some mill folks will step in with some logic behind this suggestion. If you would like, I can alter the heading of this thread to draw in more mill type people?

Last edited:
It wont gunk up your carb any more than 50:1 will. Your carb will need to be tuned a little richer as it is a leaner air to fuel mix. I think 32:1 is a common mix for milling. I have done very little milling but I know it is harder on saws than bucking so a little more oil wont hurt.

Can I run it as it is? Not sure if I want to mess with carb tuning....

Sure you can. If you are doing a few board feet it probably won't make a hill of beans difference. However, if you were gonna mill thousands of board feet, you would want to do everything in your power to preserve the saw. If you went to a 40:1 I doubt that you would have to re-tune the saw and you would still be giving the saw a little extra shot of oil.
Keep in mind that you are pushing a 360 for milling. Watch for heat issues and make sure it is getting plenty of bar oil too. Just one dudes opinion.

Sure you can. If you are doing a few board feet it probably won't make a hill of beans difference. However, if you were gonna mill thousands of board feet, you would want to do everything in your power to preserve the saw. If you went to a 40:1 I doubt that you would have to re-tune the saw and you would still be giving the saw a little extra shot of oil.
Keep in mind that you are pushing a 360 for milling. Watch for heat issues and make sure it is getting plenty of bar oil too. Just one dudes opinion.

Yes, I realize I will be pushing the 360 dealer also mentioned this, thanks for reminding. I only want to do few boards for couple of tables. I will be easy on the saw and will watch for overheating. Also, I will mix some 40:1 as per your suggestion. I am really jazzed about it....
Thanks

I am picking up a brand new Carleton ripping chain.

Be aware that you may have to sharpen frequently. Nothing wrong with the chain, just the nature of the beast.

Reactions: Diabel
I do not expect this to be a picnic....
Thanks will do.

Reactions: Jags
For what its worth, I run my limbing saw with a 32:1 mix. Its been that way for 15 years. Runs pretty darn good if you ask me. I cant say its the right thing, but it seems to be working, I'll let you know in another 15 years.

For what its worth, I run my limbing saw with a 32:1 mix. Its been that way for 15 years. Runs pretty darn good if you ask me. I cant say its the right thing, but it seems to be working, I'll let you know in another 15 years.

I suppose it is better to run rich than too lean
Thanks

I use 40:1 on all my saws whether milling,tree removal jobs or cutting firewood.From the 2 yr old pole saw to the 50+ yr old restored Macs.Factory specs for a couple of the Macs from early 70's called for 40:1,that was unusual for back then.

Reactions: Diabel
I suppose it is better to run rich than too lean
Thanks

Don't confuse rich/lean with oil mixture. Being too rich is too much fuel to air mixture.
I get what your trying to say though. I think its better to have more oil and burn it off than it is to not have enough.
Having said that, I will be running around a 40:1 mix in my new saw until I know how autotune will respond to it.

Don't confuse rich/lean with oil mixture. Being too rich is too much fuel to air mixture.
I get what your trying to say though. I think its better to have more oil and burn it off than it is to not have enough.
Having said that, I will be running around a 40:1 mix in my new saw until I know how autotune will respond to it.
Correct. More oil = leaner air/fuel. You may have to richen up the high to keep it from welding a piston to the cylinder.

I think I will just mix another gal can of 40:1 and mark it "milling"
Or, as some mentioned just start mixing 40:1 for everything.

I would and do! I had Mastermind on the Arboristsite rebuild my uncles 262xp that I blew up(not my fault). He recommended 40:1 in all my 2 stroke stuff so that's what I have been running. As a matter of fact I think he only guarantees his work if run with this mixture.

I think I will just mix another gal can of 40:1 and mark it "milling"
Or, as some mentioned just start mixing 40:1 for everything.

So, I am getting ready to pull a trigger on a Alaskan Mill. Stopped by my Stihl dealer today to enquire about ripping chains. Lots in stock (Carleton) 25" for $55.00 which I believe is not a bad price.
What supprises me is his suggestion to double up on oil mix while milling! That is 25:1if I get it right!!! Me thinks, I will gunk up the carb if I do this and she will smoke like there is no tomorrow.

What do the experts think?
Can I run it as it is? Not sure if I want to mess with carb tuning....

You want to mill your own lumber but you don't want to tune a carb?

You want to mill your own lumber but you don't want to tune a carb?

Not that I don't want to, I just have not tuned a carb before (correctly...that is).

Thanks.
My saws, blower, mower all work great (I did not touch the carbs).
My 7.5 hp merc... That is another story. I messed around with the adjustments quite a bit and could never get it right, until I brought it in for tuning. Now it works.

Last edited:
This guy is just ripping through that log...
Now, why is he adjusting the (fuel or air)? The saw revs up once he tweaks it. Why though?

On the first cut the straw started "4 stroking" about 3 times during the cut. That means it's a little rich. You want to start 4 stroking out of the cut when there is no load, but should clean up under load. He leaned it out a fair amount and then came back. The saw sounded good on the 2nd cut.

Reactions: PLAYS WITH FIRE
On the first cut the straw started "4 stroking" about 3 times during the cut. That means it's a little rich. You want to start 4 stroking out of the cut when there is no load, but should clean up under load. He leaned it out a fair amount and then came back. The saw sounded good on the 2nd cut.

Wow, thanks
I will listen this time, before I was just admiring the work.

Status
Not open for further replies.