Stihl ms211 vs ms250

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jensent

Apr 22, 2010
central Ill
Anyone with experience with these two saws please compare them. They are about the same price and weight but different technology. Old tech vs. new. We cut wood for home heating that is dropped in our spare lot by a tree service. Random lengths, 4in to 18in dia. that way I dont have any heavy lifting. I am open for suggestions. Have a Husky 350 and stihl 021. The 021 and ms 250 are built on the same platform. We have a 360pro waiting for repair. I think the ms200RH would be great but for the price. The 021 is really my "go to" saw but is a little short on power. I am also considering the ms192c and the Husky 339xp rear handle saws. Dont know if the 192 would be strong enough for bucking but that is what the local tree service uses for a bucket saw for removal. Im 66years old and will never get any younger. I am looking for reliability, light weight and ease of use. WE dont do any felling, just buck green wood 4in to 18in dia. Have even considered the Easy2start or similar option. It might keep me cutting for the next 20+ years. What say you. My wife said to buy the saw you want and enjoy , bless her heart.
Thanks
Tom
PS: Anyone ever MM an 021 with good results? Removing the spark screen seemed to help. Need step by step instructions. Should the carb be adjusted after MM? I dont think it is adjustable. T

rear handle is NOT FOR BUCKING! You cant get leverage off a of one. With that said 250. Why more cc's the better.

smokinjay said:
rear handle is NOT FOR BUCKING! You cant get leverage off a of one. With that said 250. Why more cc's the better.
Jay
Are you saying a top handle is better for bucking? I dont understand. Why cant you get leverage off a rear handle? If that is the case then none of the Stihl pro saws would be good for bucking regardless of engine size. They all have rear not top handles.
Tom

jensent said:
smokinjay said:
Jay
Are you saying a top handle is better for bucking? I dont understand. Why cant you get leverage off a rear handle? If that is the case then none of the Stihl pro saws would be good for bucking regardless of engine size. They all have rear not top handles.
Tom
Top handle is only good for limbing only! And yes on the bucking....

smokinjay said:
jensent said:
smokinjay said:
Jay
Tom
Top handle is only good for limbing only! And yes on the bucking....

I thin if I translate that out of Jay-ese, he means "screw the 211 & 250- go with the 880!" :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.