Stihl MS250 as a limbing saw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nshif

Tired of lugging around my MS361 for limbing and small cuts. Whats everyone think of using a 250 as a limbing saw? Should I go smaller? My only local dealer is a Stihl dealer and Ive been happy with the service so dont even want to think about a Husky. Thinking about one with the new EZ Start feature, anyone tried that out yet? Cost is really not a major concern.

EZ start feature?...is that the compression release valve or something newer. The compression release valve is really sweet for the first time you fire the saw up...when it's warm ya really don't need it but still it's nice to have. I have a light 16" stihl farmboss and 20 in huskey saw but find using my 20 for limbing is no big deal...I'm reaching less.

The new EZ start feature is not the compression release. it has to do with the pull rope and from what I hear makes it easier to start then a lawn mower

I think that the 361/16" makes a fine limbing saw, but if you're looking for something smaller then I would want to go MUCH smaller. 9lb powerhead, 12" bar. Think MS180, MS192 or MS200.

And skip the EZ-Start...these saws aren't hard to start as-is, so why add extra bulk and crap to the saw?

I work on a fair amout of EZ start models at work. They work OK as long as everything else is in order. If you're an able bodied adult though, skip it. It's just more moving parts to break, and like computeruser said they're not that hard to start anyway.

I purchased a 171 a couple years back for limbing and light cuts and it is great. Much lighter and easier to handle. It cuts fine but a little slower than the larger one I have. ms270. One thing I noticed about it is that it uses much less....did I say much less gas for the money. I use it for all the smaller cutting needs just for that reason alone. Kept sharp is an excellent saw.

The reason Im looking at the EZ Start is because the arthritis in my sholders is not getting any better as I age and sometimes I cant even pull the 361 hard enuf to get it started. The 361 has a 24" bar which we need here because most of the trees we fall are 3'+ in Dia and 80 to 100' tall so lots of limbing and just seems like a lighter smaller saw would make the task much easier.

Well that makes perfect sense on why you need the easy start...if it were me I'd get one asap. With the money I save burning wood I'd buy whatever it takes to make the job easier. That's the big reason I use my 20" bar for limbing...I don't have to bend as much with my bad back...and I can quickly tell the difference even though my 16" saw is much lighter too. As we get older it requires more adjustments to get the job done.

Well I bought an MS 210 with EZ Start instead of the 250, basicly the same saw a few cc smaller and wont support an 18" bar like the 250 but I can always put an 18" bar on the 361 if I find I need it. (Doubt I will )
The EZ Start feature is great. Im not kidding when I say pulling the rope is like pulling the cord on a childs toy. (like a chatty kathy) You pull the rope back like you are trying to get to the compression stroke on a regular saw before you try to start let it rewind and the saw starts! almost on its own. When I 1st pulled it and it started it scared the Chit outta me because I thought Id have to pull it again. Also the new toolless chain tensioner is pretty cool. You dont need any tools to adjust the chain or replace one. So far pretty impressed with it but Ill report bore after I limp the 3 80' Cedars Ive got laying down the hill.

Limbed 2 large cedars today with the new saw and it was a joy, well not as much work as with the 361. Ran great ( it should its new ) easily handled 6" limbs and the EZ Start worked great. Threw a chain once but that was my fault for not snuging it up after running it for awhile. so far is seems to be a very good saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.