Stihl prices?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluedogz

Minister of Fire
Oct 9, 2011
NE Maryland
Thought about dragging this thread back to the top: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/81203/P15/

... but decided against it...

I cleaned up around the house and will be turning several old cellphones and several old guns into a spankin' new MS192T CE!

Stihl's website prices this item at $299 to $319, depending on the bar. I've gotten a lot of cutting done with a 14" saw, as other threads have shown BUT I don't want to under-buy.

Any recommendations on asking for a 16" bar vs. 14"?

Without question the 14 inch....If I ever replace my bar it will be the arbor lite 13inch.

I usually recommended the 192 with a 12 to 14 inch but in your case bluedogz I'd say the 16 would be just fine too. The good news is the PMMC3 Bar & chain combo is relatively inexpensive if you wanted to run two different sizes or changed your mind after purchasing. I would highly recommend the PMMC3 (.043) Bar & Chain over the heavier gauge (.050) PM3, PS3, PMC3 chains since the narrow kerf chain takes less power to drive. One exception I guess would be if you were springing for the PD3 (Picco Duro) chain with carbide cutters. That might be worth considering if you have trouble keeping the saw out of the dirt at the end of the cut but heed fair warning as those chains are very pricey.

Several members recommended the .043" chain... I am careful to keep the saw out of the dirt, but would rather invest in extra parts later.

Your not going to be able to bury a 16 inch bar (14 neither) and run that saw anyways....No need to pay for it to.

I just picked up a little 180, with a 14" Bar. Let me tell I've been very impressed with it. Instead of carrying around the heavier saws. I've using it for most of my sawing at the house. It gets up to RPM's and stays there. As long as you don't put too much downwards. If it's like it's little brother you'll enjoy it.

chvymn99 said:
I just picked up a little 180, with a 14" Bar. Let me tell I've been very impressed with it. Instead of carrying around the heavier saws. I've using it for most of my sawing at the house. It gets up to RPM's and stays there. As long as you don't put too much downwards. If it's like it's little brother you'll enjoy it.
They definitely have their place if you get a good deal on one!

Now you have to modify your signature to include it. When you do, I think you mislabeled your 290, should be MS290, not MC290, unless it's not the saw I'm thinking of.

i'd get that saw and order myself a shorter bar.

bluedogz said:
smokinjay said:
bluedogz said:
But wait, there's more!

Worth the alternative @ $250?

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/grd/2675213833.html

Yes! THATS A GREAT PRICE........

Price aside, Jay- usable for a one-hander? With a 16" bar and 1 lb. heavier than the 192?

I am with danno, smaller bar. 13 inch arbor pro comes to mind. One lb thats hard to say but for me it would be a done issue. Only real way to know is to pick one up.

Just as usuable as a one-hander, enough umph to run the 16" for sure but no Easy2Start and I know that was an issue for you bluedogz. Great price on what is now a $600 saw. MS200T is the top-handle saw to have IMO.

Yeah- the Easy2Start is a big deal. I stopped at the Stihl shop and pulled on both the 192 and the 200. The 192 was a piece of cake, the 200 was... difficult. Not unusable, but more difficult and would require more working-around to use effectively.

That's enough to be worth the extra $50 or so. That, plus on investigation I found the 200 was listed by a pawnshop. No after-sale support there.

I actually run a 12" on my 192t..... The little thing absolutely rips....and less filing work also!!! I find myself only grabbing the 180 wearing a 14" when the 192 is outta fuel or dull. Ask Jay, I used to damn near sleep with my 180 lol!

bluedogz said:
Yeah- the Easy2Start is a big deal. I stopped at the Stihl shop and pulled on both the 192 and the 200. The 192 was a piece of cake, the 200 was... difficult. Not unusable, but more difficult and would require more working-around to use effectively.

That's enough to be worth the extra $50 or so. That, plus on investigation I found the 200 was listed by a pawnshop. No after-sale support there.

That's what you have us for! lol

Bocefus78 said:
I actually run a 12" on my 192t..... The little thing absolutely rips....and less filing work also!!! I find myself only grabbing the 180 wearing a 14" when the 192 is outta fuel or dull. Ask Jay, I used to damn near sleep with my 180 lol!

ms180madman should be your handle....I would have got the 12 inch but I bought the Demo days saw. Less than a tank run through it. 225.00 counting tax. (Bet there isnt many how could trim the way any quickier) ;-) Whens it s time to replace I figure that I will splitt the differance. 13

Status
Not open for further replies.