Stihl saw chain

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sodbuster

Minister of Fire
Sep 22, 2012
Michigan
Is Stihl saw chain with a safety raker the same as semi chisel? I have a MS261 with an 18" bar. I called a Stihl dealer and apparently there is a 26RM 74 and a 26RM3 74 The problem I'm having is that I'm into wood with some grit in it, and I'm dulling the full chisel that I have on it now fairly quickly. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Is Stihl saw chain with a safety raker the same as semi chisel? I have a MS261 with an 18" bar. I called a Stihl dealer and apparently there is a 26RM 74 and a 26RM3 74 The problem I'm having is that I'm into wood with some grit in it, and I'm dulling the full chisel that I have on it now fairly quickly. Any thoughts?
The RM is Rapid Micro half chisel and the RM3 is same but reduced kickback

M is the semi chisel and S is the full chisel. The 3 is the safety chain.

I use the full chisel to fell with and the semi chisel to cut everything else. The safety vs non safety isn’t relevant to me. It only really makes a difference when plunge cutting and it’s not even that much of a difference.

Reactions: TreePointer
OK thank for the info guys, sounds like theirs not a lot of difference. are they both sharpened with the same wheel.

Yes, both use a 3/16 wheel. It’s a little more work to file takers once the teeth are wore down.

Thank-you, a lot of the wood I cut is hickory that has been next to a dirt road for 100 years, a lot of grit in that wood. My daughter works at a Stihl dealer and can get a nice discount on Stihl parts, normally Stihl does not allow discounting on their products to consumers, but her discount is great. Unfortunately, (actually good for her) she's leaving for a new job in a couple weeks so I want to stock up while I can :)

If there is a noticeable amount of mud or grit on a log ,cut the log so the chain comes out of the wood on the dirty side and the chain going into the wood on the clean side.

If there is a noticeable amount of mud or grit on a log ,cut the log so the chain comes out of the wood on the dirty side and the chain going into the wood on the clean side.

That I've learned to do, the trees have already been felled by the tree company, I plunge cut into the log, then cut to the cleanest side. After that, I gently cut up until I'm almost to the bark, then I can usually kick it apart.

Thank-you, a lot of the wood I cut is hickory that has been next to a dirt road for 100 years, a lot of grit in that wood. My daughter works at a Stihl dealer and can get a nice discount on Stihl parts, normally Stihl does not allow discounting on their products to consumers, but her discount is great. Unfortunately, (actually good for her) she's leaving for a new job in a couple weeks so I want to stock up while I can :)
Have her get you the 2in1 for your chain ..

Reactions: TreePointer