Still learning this stove thing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fireview2788

Minister of Fire
Apr 20, 2011
SW Ohio
Last night was our first night below 30F so I loaded the stove and went to bed. I woke up at 4am, thanks to one of our cats, and decided to check the stove. It was coals but I decided not to toss another log on (no real reason other than I was mostly asleep) and went back to bed. Wellllllllll, when I got up this morning it was down to 67F in the house so I had to get the stove cranking again. Currently the heat pump is running and making me crazy.

Lesson learned, toss a few logs on and go back to bed. It will catch and you won't be playing catch-up! I hope this helps another newbie.

f v

With a fireview I am just wondering why you had what seems to be a short burn. What kind of wood? How long seasoned ? When was the load before going to bed? When did you engage the Cat ? Just wondering.

Shawn

Shorts and uglies plus not fully loaded. The wood is seasoned over three years and a mix. I am working this all night thing slowly as I learn the stove. I worry about an overfiring while I am sleeping so that's one reason I don't shove it full. It was a good 5 hour burn with shorties.

f v

fireview2788 said:
Shorts and uglies plus not fully loaded. The wood is seasoned over three years and a mix. I am working this all night thing slowly as I learn the stove. I worry about an overfiring while I am sleeping so that's one reason I don't shove it full. It was a good 5 hour burn with shorties.

f v

Ah well that splains it.

Shawn

I don't load my stove full and go back to bed in the middle of the night. But I will put 2 large splits on the coal bed and run it wide open.

I can see where your coming from if you load the stove up right before bed but if you fill that stove up even with shorties a couple hours before bed you should be safe to turn it down to a low cat burn for the rest of the night and wake up to a nice coal bed. Once you get more familar with your stove and figure out a good reload schedule, you should get a good nights sleep without worries about middle of the night reloads.

Unfortunately I work 3-11 so loading it 2 hours before bed isn't an option. I need to get the wife better trained on this puppy!

f v

No reason to fear this at all. For sure I'd doubt any overfire with what you are burning. Besides, an overfire in a Fireview is rare.

Last night I put 5 small splits in the stove at 7:30 as the house was starting to feel a bit cool. Although it had burned for some time I still checked it after showering and going to bed. Stove top was at 620 degrees and the draft was set at approximately .75. Strange, but I did not have to get up during the night but when I got up around 7:30 the stove top was at 260 and a beautiful bed of coals. Knowing how cold it was outdoors and that we were expecting another cool day, I put 2 splits in then. Within an hour we opened the sliding glass door by the stove and another window. The high temperature today was 43 and, needless to say, we have not added any wood to that beast yet and I'm not sure if we will even before hitting the sack tonight. By the feel of the air, we very well may wait until morning to light another fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.