still looking...and the saga of getting a stove installation done right in this town.... (long)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am still looking for that small woodstove....
Where I am, it is difficult to find people who really know what they are doing- I am in northern Wyoming in a small (5000) population town. People heretry whatever they can to work- so now it is going to be winter- 2 'fireplace/woodstove' dealers have popped up in the nearest town about 30 miles away. These people have other jobs, so you have to call, leave a message, then they will call you back to make an appointment to come out to the 'store'. Unfortunately, I seem to know as much or more than the sellers, and that isn't saying much!! After the winter, these 'stores' will close down.
To give you just a small inkling of how much I trust the 'local experts', here is a winner: When I first moved here, I had never heated with wood before- this was going to be my only heat source. I called the firehouse (all personnel are volunteers). I wanted to know about carbon monoxide. The fireman I talked to said that 'solid' source of fire, such as wood or coal does not give off carbon monoxide. As a nurse, I knew coal did- I asked him if he was certain about wood-'are you sure wood does not make carbon monoxide?' No mamn' it does not. :red:
About 8 years ago, I wanted to move the woodstove from the original place. I had the local construction company install a new chimney through the roof, and move the woodstove to the new spot. The owner of the company said he had done this many times when I asked him specifically if he had done this before. A few weeks later when I started a fire, the chimney stated leaking like a gusher! :bug: :ahhh: I looked at the chimney carefully, and even my dumb self saw that the chimney pipes were put in upside down!! :mad: I made him come out and put new pipe in, because the other was all stained and had drips all over it. Now, we get very very little rain where I live- I guess it did not rain until the next Spring. Guess what? Whenever it rains steady, the chimney leaks right where the pipe goes through the ceiling! I never called him back- what other damage would he do?? I still have to get up on the roof, take off the cedar shingles, and see what I can do..... It wouldn't be so bad maybe, but I am unsteady, (see below comment),and I paid the jerk to do a job right.
There are alot of cowboys, yahoos out here who are experts on everything, but can't even boil water right.
We do not have any chimneysweeps here. You can't even find a person to do it on the side. I have done it myself, which is not very smart, because I have broken my neck in the past (not cleaning the chimney!), and if I fall.......
This forum is how I get my information.
Because I am looking for another stove for the original location of the woodstove that was here when I bought my house, I am thinking that I may use flexible liner in the chimney. I have looked at sites where retailers sell Magna, Ventinox- can you buy from the company?
I need to do the work myself, and obviously need it to be safe. Also have to watch cost, as am on SSDI....
So, anyway, you can see how getting the stove and installation is not an easy job out here where I am! I thank you all for answering all my questions- THE RIGHT WAY!! There will be more...
Such as- who/where can I have my grate in my antique wood/coal cookstove straightened? Or do I have to buy a new one? It is warped from many years of use.
If I find a stove in black- can I find someone to 'porcenilize' it?
Thanks all!

Howdy, just kidding.
I know all about what you are saying as far as Wyoming goes.
I ended up installing my own stove after some outrageous bids from
a company out of Casper.

Such as- who/where can I have my grate in my antique wood/coal cookstove straightened? Or do I have to buy a new one? It is warped from many years of use.
If I find a stove in black- can I find someone to ‘porcenilize’ it?

If the grate is warped it will need probably need to be replaced. Anything can be done, including porcelainizing, but it would be much cheaper and better to buy a new stove with a porcelain finish from the factory. Consider a Napoleon or PE stove perhaps?

No a company called Porters.
I bought the stove from them, but did the rest myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.