Still looking for a non-flexible cleaning rod

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MJFlores

Burning Hunk
Dec 22, 2013
NH
I'm still looking for a non-flexible chimney cleaning rod but am having a tough time. I bought a pack of Rutland cleaning rod sections but it's like trying to use a flyrod with a brush on the end...can only get about 8 feet down before the whole thing goes to heck! I have a Rutland 7X11 wire brush, and really need a set of good stiff rod sections. Anyone see them someplace for sale?

I'm still looking for a non-flexible chimney cleaning rod but am having a tough time. I bought a pack of Rutland cleaning rod sections but it's like trying to use a flyrod with a brush on the end...can only get about 8 feet down before the whole thing goes to heck! I have a Rutland 7X11 wire brush, and really need a set of good stiff rod sections. Anyone see them someplace for sale?
You must be using the skinny white ones? The rutlands i got are thicker then the white ones, and I go 32 ft with no problem. They are black colored and about 3/8 dia, from memory. I also found red fiberglass rods at Ace hardware here.

I had the same problem cleaning my 5.5" flex liner . Picked up Rutland flex rods at HD. Attempted one cleaning with them and decided it wasn't going to work. I know they sell a "pro" version of the rods with are thicker, but I haven't been willing to shell out the money for them.

At the suggestion of the stove shop owner, I bought an eyelet which threads onto the end of the brush. Tied 30' of 1/4" rope onto each end of the brush (it has a built in metal loop on the non threaded end. I tie a weight to the end of the rope and drop it down the flue. Have to pull the brush down from inside the stove, then go back up top and pull it up. It's slow because there is a lot of up and down the ladder. It works, but I would be open to suggestions on easier/better ways to get it clean.

I had the same problem cleaning my 5.5" flex liner . Picked up Rutland flex rods at HD. Attempted one cleaning with them and decided it wasn't going to work. I know they sell a "pro" version of the rods with are thicker, but I haven't been willing to shell out the money for them.

At the suggestion of the stove shop owner, I bought an eyelet which threads onto the end of the brush. Tied 30' of 1/4" rope onto each end of the brush (it has a built in metal loop on the non threaded end. I tie a weight to the end of the rope and drop it down the flue. Have to pull the brush down from inside the stove, then go back up top and pull it up. It's slow because there is a lot of up and down the ladder. It works, but I would be open to suggestions on easier/better ways to get it clean.

The Rutland rods I have are a dark brown color. After buying them and discovered they wont work for me I looked on their site and the ones I have don't appear to be the "homeowner" ones they sell. I definitely need something much less bendable. I had thought about using a rope on both ends but I'm not looking to climb on and off the roof...up and down ladders. I'd much rather just go up there and stay up there until the cleaning is done.I really only need to get the brush down maybe 16 feet? My home is a raised ranch so the stove is on the main floor and there's a cleanout door underneath in the basement. The stove enters the chimney about half way up. When I cleaned it a few months back I was able to get probably half of it done. I stiffer cleaning rod should help me get the rest done.

A long time ago I made some rods out of copper pipe with threaded ends. Maybe pvc pipe would be cheaper?

1/2" EMT electrical conduit?

I went with 1/2" EMT electrical conduit back in 2007 and it's still doing the job.

I used 1/2" pipe for many, many moons.

I use the alum sections from my snow roof rake
Welded a bolt that fits tube and 1/4 npt coupling that fits brushes
Carry three 8 ft stick up and snap together as i feed down the chimney

I do what my parents did 35 years ago. Take your rod and put some electrical or duct tape over each section (so it does not come apart) and attach your drill to it in the forward mode. Then have at it.

My brush has a loop on the opposite end from where the rods attach. I clip on a length of chain 2' longer than my chimney. Go up on the roof , drop the chain down through. With a bucket under the bottom just pull the chain/brush down through. Never used the rods again after doing it this way except on the short horizontal section out of the back of the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.