Still River Pellets - Anyone Used Them

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bogieb

Minister of Fire
Oct 31, 2014
South Central NH
As I was pulling out of the local Aubuchon's, I noticed they have a pellet I don't remember hearing anything about; Still River. I did a search, but can't find anything on them. Anyone have experience with them or know who makes them?

Thank you!

They also make blackstone pellets!! And oddly enough both of there skus come up as drycreeks pellets

That's odd as a quick read on the Blackstone website seems to imply they are a relatively new independent manufacturer of pellets. Maybe Dry Creek owns them?

Still River pellets are made in northeast CT. Aubouchon Hardware has bought all they can produce. I grabbed a couple of bags to see how they burned while I was seting up my new M55 and they seemed OK. I think I paid $7.00 per bag.

Reactions: bogieb
Just bumping this thread to see if anyone else has tried these or has any information/reviews on them.

Yeah, at $7/bag, they better be more than just ok.

Reactions: bags
$259 a ton at Aubochons. Way hotter than NEWP/Green Supremes, hotter than FSUs too. Average ash.

Walmart Rt 9 Spencer MA has Still River "Premium Hardwood Pellets" for $5 a bag, $250 per ton. UPC 11039 31593

Picked up a bag to try earlier today, also a bag of Maine's Choice, also $5.

They also had Pennington's and another brand, at $5 per.

Local Ace Hardware has Lignetics at $8.19(?) a bag, $299.99 a ton. Have heard good things about them, are they worth the extra $50?

All ton pallet prices do not include delivery.

I'm using Lignetics and am very happy with them. I burned Maine's Choice last year and the heat was fine but they were more ashy than the Lignetics. You're doing it right because a pellet may work great in one stove and lousy in another. See what your stove likes and go from there.

My local Aubuchon's has the Still River at $6.49/bag. Don't know what the per ton price is. Funny thing is the sign on top of the pellets says Green Supremes. Not buying any at that price especially since I can get Pres-to's and FSU's at way cheaper prices at the BBS.

I was moving the bags of pellets around, cleaning up the room a bit. Still trying to see what I should buy in bulk...

Looking at the Still River bag it shows as:

Less that 1% Ash
8,000+ BTU/lb
Less than .05% fines
Less than 6% moisture

All of the other bags I've got, or have looked at usually state:

Less than 0.5% fines

Think it's a typo on the bag, or are these extra extra clean?

You can be the guinea pig and open a bag ==c. Hard to believe they could be that low - maybe during packaging, cut certainly not after shipping. But what I know about it could fit on the head of a pen, so TIFWIW.

But what I know about it could fit on the head of a pen, so TIFWIW.

So, wait, now, are you saying you are the Pellet Angel?

All hail Pellet Angel!

Last edited:
Just so you know I'm not making this up:

fclc42.jpg

Maybe whomever did the graphiocs did not understand that there is a difference between .05% and multiplying by .05 to get 5 percent?

Sounds like it wasn't caught before going to print. Everything else in the list is just the premium standard so it is probably supposed to say 0.5%. The limit for fines (less than 1/8") is 0.5% at the mill gate.
I've seen a bag from Brazil once (not pellets but some kind of rolled balls of fiber) that said > 0.5% fines.

Maybe whomever did the graphiocs did not understand that
Gotcha! That is an older school style of graphics back before the Mid-Evil times where they drew with sticks on cave walls. Touche' LOL!

Gotcha! That is an older school style of graphics back before the Mid-Evil times where they drew with sticks on cave walls. Touche' LOL!

The Graphiocs, eventually defeated by the Peedeefians during the UpLoadingan Holy War.

I remember it well. Good times, good times.

Bags - remind me not to get on your bad side, you hold a grudge forever :).

The Graphiocs, eventually defeated by the Peedeefians during the UpLoadingan Holy War.

I remember it well. Good times, good times.
;lol

you hold a grudge forever :).
Nah, Just always looking for a good laugh. ;lol;lol Did the key board spin a little and almost get away from ya there, Bogieb? LOL! ::-) Or were the digits moving slower or possibly faster than the brain? <<<< Careful how ya answer that one. Loaded question. :eek:

Nah, Just always looking for a good laugh. ;lol;lol Did the key board spin a little and almost get away from ya there, Bogieb? LOL! ::-) Or were the digits moving slower or possibly faster than the brain? <<<< Careful how ya answer that one. Loaded question. :eek:

Just wait until you get old and your fingers get Alzheimer's, we'll so who's laughing then :). Heck, I'm surprised most of my stuff doesn't come out as gibberish anyway; seriously, I mis-type my first name 90+% of the time (pretty bad for a 6 letter, common name). Got so bad I finally told Word and my email editors to autocorrect it !!!

Reactions: bags
Just wait until you get old and your fingers get Alzheimer's, we'll so who's laughing then
I think I just got into the end of that line. Vision is going. Aches and pains are appearing. Etc; Getting older is for the birds! A bigger problem is that at times I still think I'm in my 20's and routinely pay the price for it.

So I assume you are going to pass on the Still River pellets? I know nothing about any of the brands you northern folk are speaking of. It's Greek to me.