i've done the same with ammonia. i was taught that from a pharmacist that said he was taught that in phar school. worked so well i couldn't see the spot that the yellow jacket leftYou'd be surprised how effective applying vinegar (weak acid) to a sting site is. I've probably had 50+ stings over the last 10 years by yellow jackets mostly and I'm always amazed how well it works. Apparently, most insect venoms are basic (pH) and the application of vinegar quickly neutralizes the venom to some degree. I keep a pill container with cotton balls soaked with vinegar with me while working in risky places and its paid off many times. I press the cotton ball to the sting site and hold it there for about 5 minutes.
I'd swear that vinegar provides almost immediate relief. Maybe it's a placebo effect It makes sense though as I get stung by wasps (e.g. Yellow Jackets) only and their venom is reportedly more basic. (Sadly), I never have problems with bees. There's not many of them around here anymore. I see fewer every year.Ammonia seems to make more sense. I read that the toxins in bee venom are acidic.
They liked our trash in Afghanistan and one stung my middle finger on my right hand and I have a scar from it. I could not believe how much it hurt from such a small creature.I got stung by a small yellow jacket that followed me after discovering they had a nest under a palette in the woodshed. I had walked quite away from the next when it stung me in the chest through my shirt. It felt like I had been struck by a taser. Took my breath away and stopped me in my tracks. That surprised me. I have been stung a lot in my days, but nothing like this. Little wasps can pack more wallop than some big ones.
Now I have to figure out how to get them out. This is the hardwood side of the woodshed. It won't be a problem during the winter, but I stacked my leftover fir there from last spring so that I could reload the other side with fir. The intent was to burn this first.