Stinky Jotul pilot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

suekimtoo

Feb 10, 2023
Scarborough Maine
We've had a Jotul GF 200DV in a cottage for 6 years. The entire time we've had it, when the pilot is on and no one using the stove, we notice an odor somewhat like sewage, but not sewage. When I shut off the gas to the unit and extinguish the pilot, no odor. I've had the gas company come and test and no leak. It has gotten so unless we are seriously going to use the stove, I keep the gas shut down to the unit. I am not very mechanical or inclined to start taking the thing apart, but has anyone else experienced this? For a long time we just did not know what was causing it. Before we were able to relate it directly to the jotul unit, we had checked the washer and dishwasher etc. Finally when I shut the gas off, the odor went away. Turn the gas on and light the pilot, smell is back. Not too noticeable if lots of cooking and activity in the house, people going and coming, but leave the house closed up for a day with no one there and the smell is noticeable when you enter the house. Not sewage, not musty, but something.

The stove should be checked out for gas leakage to the pilot tube. If all checks out ok, this could be due to a very weak or negative draft that is not exhausting out the vent unless the flue gets warmed up.