Storage...(2) 500 gal OR (1) 1000 gal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DMX_512

Nov 17, 2008
Louisville, KY
I am getting all the things together to start installing the EKO 40.
I would like to have 1000 gallons of storage.
Would a single 1000 gallon tank or 2 - 500 gallon tanks be better?
I can get a 1000 gal tank in if I relocate the hot water heater.
Stacking 2 - 500's will probably work also. 94" clear to bottom of joist (don't ask me...I didn't build the house)

There will be less plumbing involved with the 1000 gallon tank. You'll also "maybe" get better stratification since you only have one inlet and one outlet instead of two each with the 500's. I'd probably go for the 1000 if floor space is readily available....

I'd go with the 2 500gal ones stacked. The reason would be you would pipe it so the top would be hot and the bottem tank would be cold. plumb the tanks togeather with large pipe so you get good flow between them to keep the flow rates down and you will get good stratification. If you are returning water from your loops that is warmer than the bottem tank plumb the return to the bottem of the top tank. Just my view
leaddog

Good question. My inclination would be to use two 500 gallon on end in series for best possible stratification.

Two arguments against this: Extra plumbing as mentioned above, and more surface area to insulate. Really - either would be better than what I'm using :-(

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of the stacked 500's since I just did it! Both of my tanks had all of the fittings on top (no bottom drains) so for me it was a fair amount of plumbing to connect the tanks in series. That was the real reason for my response above. Less is more. I did not have nearly enough room for a 1000 gallon tank so I had no choice but to run the 500's....and I'm very happy with them...

IIdont see where you are going to gane much from two 500's . If you have room, go with the 1000 and use the existing top and bottom fittings . Save some money on pipe and welding . I have great stratification with a 1000. just feed it with large pipe. sometimes people like to make things difficult . real world, do what works , There is not a wow factor from one to the other.

Thanks all for the responses.
From what I am hearing there is no real reason, advantage or dis-advantage to doing one or the other.
What would need welding on a stock tank??

I don't know if you ever got this answered or not, but I'm going through the same thing right now trying to figure out which way I want to go. I'm not 100% sure of everything that will need to be done to the tanks, but I believe you will have to weld an adapter on the tank so you have a way to run your pipes into it. Someone will probably correct me if I'm wrong though.

Status
Not open for further replies.