Storage of Wood Pellets Outside

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

LobsterParty

Jan 24, 2022
Boston
I currently have 6 pallets of shrink wrapped Wood pellets outside my house.

I noticed the store selling them keep them in the parking lot etc.

Has anyone left their pallets outside thru the winter before?

Looking for advice / feedback.

My backup plan and it will take alot of work is bringing them into my basement thru the bulkhead

20221007_102657.jpg

They will be OK outside as long as the cover stays on
Why not get a kid's plastic slide good wax job, someone
outside putting the pellets on and someone inside catching
them and stacking them works for the wife and me but only 41/2 ton
a year

Reactions: LobsterParty
Most of the stores here store them outside too. And I’ve gotten quite a few wet bags and sometimes had to return a pallet. Anymore I just wait for the fresh stock to come in and get them before it rains.

Reactions: LobsterParty
I stored 11 tons outside for a a year or more. I put them on two lyers of pallets (but it looks like yours are on a wood deck, so are probably good), used pallet wrap plastic, then covered everything with a big, heavy duty tarp. Probably overkill but some of those tons I had to move in place by hand, so the outer cover was taken off. Others of the tons were put directly in place, so they still had the outer bag over them.

Reactions: tlc1976 and Mt Bob
Can't find a picture of the final score with all moved together then wrapped and the tarp over, but these pellets were fine over the next couple of years (fire sales of spring 2016)

pellets in yard.jpg