Storage Tank Location Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

intc97

Apr 24, 2008
Churubusco, NY
After more research, I'm leaning towards an AHS woodgun with a storage tank. Over the long run, I think the added expence will be worth it by saving wood and the extended life of the system. The boiler will be in a small outbuilding that will also be for wood storage. Eventually I will be building a small attached greenhouse to the boiler building. My question is is there any advantage to put the storage tank with the boiler or in my basement? I have plenty of room in my basement. Anyone who has a boiler in an outbuilding with a storage tank, I would appreciate your comments. Was also wondering if anyone burns dry poplar in their gasification boiler.
Thanks

North Border Homestead said:
After more research, I'm leaning towards an AHS woodgun with a storage tank. Over the long run, I think the added expence will be worth it by saving wood and the extended life of the system. The boiler will be in a small outbuilding that will also be for wood storage. Eventually I will be building a small attached greenhouse to the boiler building. My question is is there any advantage to put the storage tank with the boiler or in my basement? I have plenty of room in my basement. Anyone who has a boiler in an outbuilding with a storage tank, I would appreciate your comments. Was also wondering if anyone burns dry poplar in their gasification boiler.
Thanks

IMHO, you want the storage as close as possible to the heat loads, not to the boiler. The reason is that the heat loads are intermittent, so if you had to flush a lot of cooled water form the lines between the storage and the load every time a load cyscled, you'd lose a lot more. The boiler provides pretty constant heat to the storage when it's running, so you don't get that issue as much.

Classic example is that your DHW calls for heat. Much better if the DHW is right next to the storage than haveing a bunch of large diameter buried pipe in between.

Plus, if storage is in your basement, any loss heats the house anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.