Storing pellets in a garage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smalltown

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 1, 2008
Western Maine
Cleaning out an area in my garage to store pellets . Trying to figure just how much space to make for the pettets. Not sure if they normally are delivered to the stores on 4X4 pallets.
I will slowly bring home some Maine Choice pellets today from TSC. I figure 1/2 tone per trip. I think I will purchase 3 tons for the season. Going to try and find pallets to get them off the floor just a little.
Did a few searchs on pellet storage, but they seem to deal with not storing the pettels outside not how much space they take up.

BTU Thanks for the quick reply!

Set'em in a corner off the floor, like this...

Attachments

• 2009_07280046.JPG
    2009_07280046.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 955
Mine, stacked 5 to a row, take up 42" X 52".

SHOW OFF!!

Pay attention to how the bags are laid out at the pellet dealer...

3 bags one direction and 2 the opposite direction on each layer and alternate the pattern on each layer so that all bags overlap and strengthen the pile just like building a brick wall... Also helps to put the "top" of the bags (with the extra plastic material) toward the center of the stack which leaves a much smoother appearance on the outside of the stack.

If you stack them with care it is no problem to get all the way up to 7 or 8 feet to save space...

I have 6 tons on 3 pallets in my garage.

You should be able to get the pallets from the pellet dealer.

cncpro said:
........If you stack them with care it is no problem to get all the way up to 7 or 8 feet to save space.........I have 6 tons on 3 pallets in my garage.......

Yep, can do that. I have 2.7 tons on 1 1/2 pallets in the basement....stacked almost touching the ceiling....I used a milk crate to stand on to get them up there neatly.

Unfortunately, w/ the price of HHO, looks like the pellets will be sitting there for a while. :blank:

Well 4 trips yesterday and 1 last trip today to get 3 tons of the Maine Coice pellets home and stacked in my garage. Bought them for more than I thought pellets would have cost, but was a little anxious about being so late in the season in Maine. Friday we discussed buying the Maine Choice after reading good reviews and the news Saturday that the Geneva mill in Strong Maine that manufactures the Maine Choice pellets had that big explosion and seeing the damage on TV urged us on. I just wanted to get this out of the way. I had priced them Friday and was told $249 a ton. When I returned with my trailer on Saturday I was told $269 and TSC would send me a $20 store credit per ton in the mail. I wasn't to happy and was prepared to walk away from the deal, but the store manager agreed to the straight $249 per ton.
There is a nice feeling for us that we finally have pellets stacked and waiting. Now to see what happens to oil prices as winter approaches.

Attachments

• 2009_0809August20090443.jpg
    2009_0809August20090443.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 736
re CNCPRO's comment to stack the pellet bags with the extra fabric on the top of the bag into the interior of the pile. That's Brilliant!
I have some sort of OCD and the flaps hanging out the sides has always disturbed me, way more than I know it should. That method also puts the breathing holes muffled shut - so humidity / any moisture is less likely to effect the pellets. Thanks for the tip!

cliff - 52 degrees at 7am here in Vermont today.

What are you heating....half the city of Rochestah? lol

BTU said:
oh hell...this is nothing ....you should see my basement.....ROFLAMO..!!! :lol:

Vermont-XXV said:
re CNCPRO's comment to stack the pellet bags with the extra fabric on the top of the bag into the interior of the pile. That's Brilliant!
I have some sort of OCD and the flaps hanging out the sides has always disturbed me, way more than I know it should. That method also puts the breathing holes muffled shut - so humidity / any moisture is less likely to effect the pellets. Thanks for the tip!

cliff - 52 degrees at 7am here in Vermont today.

Don't go thinking I'm a genius... I got the idea from LG Granules, inc..... Glad my ramblings will help ease your OCD :)

Thats Looks Like an older Cub Cadet you got in the corner. I just picked up a 1971 107

Also you could probably combine three into two stacks it would not be more 6 to 7 feet tall.

That reminds me, I need to clean out my garage this weekend as my pellets are being delivered next Tuesday.

It is amazing how quickly the vacuum caused by removing pellet pallets from the floor sucks other "stuff" into those spaces ;-)

(5 ton, New England Wood Pellet, Schuyler, NY facility pellets, $250/ton, delivery flat fee $15).

PunKid8888 That's a 123 that I bought to restore for my Grandson. I wasn't able to get much cub time on my own 70 :)
I was toying with the idea of going higher. I was just concerned somebody might drop a bag when pulling it off of a high pile.

Status
Not open for further replies.