Storing pellets outside

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Geezer

Dec 4, 2012
Marlboro NY
Guys, I know this isn't burning season but I want to prep for next fall. I'm considering storing outside, pallets up on 4x4's, pallet covers, and a tarp to go over the whole thing. In your opinion will it work, I want to order 3 tons for the season all at once in October. Also, does anyone have any advance info on pellet availability next season? Thanks

Guys, I know this isn't burning season but I want to prep for next fall. I'm considering storing outside, pallets up on 4x4's, pallet covers, and a tarp to go over the whole thing. In your opinion will it work, I want to order 3 tons for the season all at once in October. Also, does anyone have any advance info on pellet availability next season? Thanks

yea, it'll work, nothing wrong with it, just keep them covered.

as for availability, it doesn't look to bad, so far, but I'm not a manufacturer. I tend not to offer my opinions on price and availability (anymore), because there always seems to be someone who thinks I'm rabblerousing.....as for availability, already have my pellets put up for next year, so for me, the availability for everyone who cant, or doesn't, plan ahead is not a high priority for me....

i do the same thing all winter it will be fine

Reactions: DAKSY
Yeah works fine. Just leave the manufacturer's wrap on them and the piece on the bottom of the pallets that keeps ground moisture from coming up into the stacks. In other words, leave'em like you get'em.

Don't let water get to them. That's pretty much the only rule. Obey the rule, your pellets will be fine. Disobey the rule, your pellets will be compost.

i'd suggest laying a big tarp on top of the 4x's before you put the pallets on 'em to create a bottom moisture barrier too. then a 2nd tarp that 'shingles' down and allows water to leave the area, not get caught in it.

this of course assumes your driveway/etc area is secure. a few people have gotten tons stolen this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.