Storing wood under stove safe? (i.e. Discovery II)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Chachie

Jan 14, 2019
Earth
Hello everyone,

I'm looking at the Discovery II which has a wood storage area under the firebox. I'm wondering how save this is? Sure they say this is safe as temps are low in this area but what about the odd ember popping out when then door is open? Just curious on all your thoughts. Thanks

Yes, the stove bottom is shielded to make it safe to store wood there. The ashlip should protect the wood below from embers.

Im sure its safe, but I would be very leery of doing it. Im very clumsy and hot ash and cinders have been known to fall over the place when im not paying attention. lol

My Osburn Matrix has a similar wood storage area underneath, and while I've never had a coal or spark land in that area, I still don't keep wood in it due to the risk of fire.