Stove advice for new home. So many choices! House sketch inside.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

white91lx50

Nov 12, 2022
ohio
My wife and I built our ranch house in 2019, currently heated by propane and heat pump. We have plenty of access to wood, and love wood stove heat.

Theres so many choices, but I have been primarily looking at Hearthstone, Lopi, Jotul, and Blaze King freestanding stoves. I *think* I'm leaning more towards Blaze Kings, primarily to extended burn time, and from what I've been reading, it appears they may have a slightly better stove all around, although that may be opinion more than anything.

Our house is 1984 sq ft on the main level. Living room has vaulted ceiling, and is open into the kitchen. We'd like to put it in the corner of the room, but It would likely be too close to the curtains on the window. There is a full basement, that we may finish, but it does not need to be heated full time. There are also air returns throughout the house. I've included a very rough sketch of the floorplan.

Would a Sirocco 30 be overkill for our house? Not enough? I've found one on a pedestal for $4100, with blower and outside air kit. Seems decent in the current price climate.

Thanks! Will

floorplan.jpg

Location doesn't seem bad, fairly centrally located in a large open room. How do you plan to vent it? Through the wall by the window or straight up through the roof? The roof will draft better as going through the wall will have too much horizontal run...

All good brands, with good histories. I've heard there's some trouble with the current Jotul 500, with a possible fix on the way, so that might be one to double check if it's on your list. BK30's are solid, I'm running two, but with the Ashford skins, Scirocco, Ashford, and Chinook 30's are all the same stove, with different skins. If you have any specific questions on a model, by all means...

All good brands, with good histories. I've heard there's some trouble with the current Jotul 500, with a possible fix on the way, so that might be one to double check if it's on your list. BK30's are solid, I'm running two, but with the Ashford skins, Scirocco, Ashford, and Chinook 30's are all the same stove, with different skins. If you have any specific questions on a model, by all means...
I was just reading the BK30 brochure and noted that the sirocco is single layer steel, where the Ashford has a second layer of cast. I may instead lean towards the Ashford, as I like the look a bit better as well. If your stoves were gone tomorrow, would you buy another Ashford?

Looking at the specs for distance to combustibles, it appears we may be able to put it in the corner with the window after all? Has anyone had any issues with being that close to a window as far as the glass goes?

Location doesn't seem bad, fairly centrally located in a large open room. How do you plan to vent it? Through the wall by the window or straight up through the roof? The roof will draft better as going through the wall will have too much horizontal run...
Not sure how I missed your reply. I don’t see any reason I can’t go straight up and out the roof, that’s the plan anyhow lol.

Reactions: NickW
All three BK30 stoves use the same welded steel firebox, constructed with ears upon which the outer skin hangs. This gives them a convective jacket, such that they radiate relatively little heat off top and sides versus a traditional stove, but rather move most of their heat via convection, essentially heating and exhausting air from between the firebox and outer skin. This is what allows them to be placed tight in a corner, or to work better than a radiant stove in a stone fireplace like mine (which can suck up all that radiant heat and radiate it outside). You still get a hood seating radiant heat off the front viewing window, but much less off the sides, which makes them feel like they’re heating up a cold cabin more slowly, die to leave of radiation directly from stove to your face, but doesn’t impact constant heating.

So you saying the Sirocco has no outer skin is a surprise to me, as it would really impact its performance characteristics and clearances. I don’t really know, since I don’t have a Sirocco, but are you sure you’re not just misinterpreting a sheet metal (vs cast) outer skin as not having one? I can tell you from having (and disassembling) two of them, that firebox would be downright ugly with no skins, welds and skins mounting hardware all ‘round.

All three BK30 stoves use the same welded steel firebox, constructed with ears upon which the outer skin hangs. This gives them a convective jacket, such that they radiate relatively little heat off top and sides versus a traditional stove, but rather move most of their heat via convection, essentially heating and exhausting air from between the firebox and outer skin. This is what allows them to be placed tight in a corner, or to work better than a radiant stove in a stone fireplace like mine (which can suck up all that radiant heat and radiate it outside). You still get a hood seating radiant heat off the front viewing window, but much less off the sides, which makes them feel like they’re heating up a cold cabin more slowly, die to leave of radiation directly from stove to your face, but doesn’t impact constant heating.

So you saying the Sirocco has no outer skin is a surprise to me, as it would really impact its performance characteristics and clearances. I don’t really know, since I don’t have a Sirocco, but are you sure you’re not just misinterpreting a sheet metal (vs cast) outer skin as not having one? I can tell you from having (and disassembling) two of them, that firebox would be downright ugly with no skins, welds and skins mounting hardware all
Reading it again I see it just says the top is 1/4” steel in direct contact with room air, and nothing about the second skin like the chinook or ashford so I think I misunderstood.

C21D65B1-97A3-4615-9A60-FEAEEFE6B9CE.png

Reactions: Ashful
With regard to the question of would you buy another Ashford? Yes with no hesitation, my house is smaller than yours so the ability to run it lower and get 24hr reloads during shoulder seasons works perfect for me. The reduced clearances helps with my corner installation.

Reactions: white91lx50
What size is the heat pump? What is the BTU output of the propane furnace?

Are there a ceiling fan or two in the vaulted ceiling area?

The returns are supposed to be at least 10ft away from the stove location. If that is not an issue, then the proposed stove location looks good.

I don't own one, but the Sirocco 30.2 certainly looks like it has side cabinet shields as Ashful described. Only the top and front are unshielded.

Screen Shot 2022-11-13 at 10.32.48 AM.png

Last edited:
O
What size is the heat pump? What is the BTU output of the propane furnace?

Are there a ceiling fan or two in the vaulted ceiling area?

The returns are supposed to be at least 10ft away from the stove location. If that is not an issue, then the proposed stove location looks good.

I don't own one, but the Sirocco 30.2 certainly looks like it has side cabinet shields as Ashful described. Only the top and front are unshielded.

View attachment 302695
Ok, that makes more sense!

I do have a ceiling fan in the middle of the vaulted area.
On the return, I would be 5-6 feet away from one return. There are two in this room, 6 total in the main level, and 2 in the basement.
Is there any exceptions to the return vent distance if there are multiple returns? I've seen several where people have installed them closer than this one would be, although that may just be not knowing any better.

The heat pump is a 2.5 ton 16 seer unit. The furnace looks to be 84,000 btu

Last edited:
I don't know of an exception to the mechanical code for returns, but you are correct, many inspectors and installers don't pay attention to the requirement.

I'm surprised the heatpump is not larger. This could be due to good insulation and sealing of the house. The Sirocco 30 would not be overkill due to its ability to run low and slow.

So far it has performed well and hasn’t had excess run times or anything, so I suppose it is sized ok’ish?

Went ahead and took the plunge and bought a new Sirocco 30 with pedestal and fan kit that a dealer fairly local had. I’ll be picking it up Saturday 👍. It may be next year before it’s installed, but I figured I better get the stove bought now while it’s available, supply does not seem to be improving.

Time to get your wood for next year and the year after lined up. New EPA stoves need dry wood and unless you get creative with solar kilns its 1 to 2 years (preferably 2) with wood that is cut split and stacked. No credit for log length, the clock starts ticking when it splt and stacked. Welcome to the wood burning world!

This user being here a year before proposed install is in a fairly uncommon situation among wood burners, potentially having dry wood for their first year!

I’m hopeful we’ll have some good wood for next year. We have plenty of black locust that has been cut in the last several years, but needs rounded up and split.

I’m hopeful we’ll have some good wood for next year. We have plenty of black locust that has been cut in the last several years, but needs rounded up and split.
Locust is a nice firewood, it burns long and hot. Gather up some other species too. Locust is so dense that it's harder to start but if you have some other wood that starts easily, then use that to establish the coal bed for the locust.

Black locust is great firewood, but considered a 2 year seasoning firewood. Common hardwood that is considered 1 year seasoning are ash and cherry and a few others. Elm is 18 months. Note that in the EPA stoves and fireplaces that softwood is quite effective, just doesn't have as long of burn times. I get 8-12 hours out of full hardwood loads and 5-6 hours out of softwood loads.

Look for some softwoods and fast seasoning hardwoods for next winter. Lots of dead ash around from EAB.

With regard to the question of would you buy another Ashford? Yes with no hesitation, my house is smaller than yours so the ability to run it lower and get 24hr reloads during shoulder seasons works perfect for me. The reduced clearances helps with my corner installation.
Hello, I’m interested in a corner set up for my house. I have tight restrictions for my hearth. It will be 48”x54” raised 6” off a cement floor with tile. I’m less concerned about the 16” needed in front of stove because of the floor being non combustible. Can you share your install parameters, perhaps some pictures ? Do you have a fan?