Stove and Hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steamer

Jul 15, 2008
Southern Vt
Need some advice on new stove and existing hearth. Built a house in 1985 with a brick hearth and a Nashua wood stove. Burn just 1-2 cords a year. Thinking of replacing stove with either a Woodstock Fireview or Pacific Energy T-6. Hearth is 51" deep on floor with 4" brick and 50" wide on wall with same brick. Front of hearth is a half circle. The Nashua has a rear exit so the pipe goes straight back into a round 6" tile through wall into an outside chimney with an 8" round tile. If I get the fireview I can use same connection but I was wondering about the tile through wall and if in the 80's the install is adequate. If I get the T-6 I would have to install a higher connector and close the existing one. I was thinking of installing an insulated low clearance pipe through wall to the block chimney. Does this sound like a reasonable conversion if I choose the T-6 and if I use the existing connector for a fireview should I still install a close clearance pipe through the wall. Any thoughts on the stoves ?
Thanks

Both stoves are winners. The T5 may be more comparable to the Fireview. The T6 is a 3 cu ft heating machine.

Is the chimney that the stove is tapped into exposed, no wood near by?

I remember when house was built the area behind stove did not have studs as they put a large header in so as to eliminate studding. I do know there was exterior plywood behind the stove but I can't remember how large a hole was made for clay tile to exit to the chimney. Would it be difficult to replace clay tile with insulated pipe or close this thimble and put new one higher for the T6?
I want to burn 24/7 this winter. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.