Stove Bright paint on aluminum?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

7acres

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2013
South East USA
This is a random off topic question. But I knew this crowd would have an answer for me. I roast my own coffee in a West Bend "The Poppery" hot air popcorn popper from the 80s. The roast chamber is made of cast aluminum and I'm modding it considering a redesign inspired by showing off the innards. I want to use high temp paint on the cast aluminum because the temperature of the aluminum will be in the mid-400s F most of the time when the unit is roasting coffee.

My question is can I use high temp stove paint on aluminum? It says it's for ferrous metals. But will it actually stick to aluminum? Any way to make it work?

Do you really want to chance your coffee tasting like paint?

Good point. But this surface area is outside the roast chamber. Coffee never comes in contact. or even gets mixed with the initial outgassing.

Need to get a self etching primer but not sure if they have high temp ... Had to use this on a bistro chair set with cast iron seat and legs; aluminum backs. Paint will just peel otherwise...

Apparently, stove bright can be used on aluminum BBQs with properly prepared surface ... scuffed and cleaned with acetone. I think the curing of the paint would then be a important element.
http://forrestpaint.com/stove-bright/faqs-stove-bright-consumer-products/
http://forrestpaint.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Stove-Bright-User-Guide-05-2015.pdf

Last edited:
Reactions: 7acres
Can it be polished like aluminum wheels?

Interesting idea. I'd really have to put some elbow grease into filing smooth some of the flashings. Makes me wonder... Why don't aluminum wheels oxidize? Something in the metallurgy?

Status
Not open for further replies.