Stove / chimney pipe brands, offsets and general Q’s

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Aquaelvis

Mar 5, 2021
N Idaho
So as I get close to installing my Alderlea T4 and dealing with ceiling joists I have a few questions.
First, are there better pipe than others? I was looking at durovent as it seems easy to get, etc. The local stove place says Security Chimney is the only way to go, far better than durovent. Then there is Selkirk, etc.
So are any of these really better than others?
(I’m running 6 inch double wall inside the house)
Second, and related... does Security make a ceiling box? I see them online but all links to their site are dead. Search the part number I have on their site and nothing comes up?
Third, can someone explain ceiling boxes? There are round, there are square, seems there are 12 inch and 14 inch. How doyou know what you need?
Forth, offsets when using 45’s. Seems different companies have different offsets? My plan is to come out of the stove with the adapter, into a 12” (or so) then to a 45 going back, another 45 going up and then whatever length I need to hit the ceiling box. Am I missing/overlooking anything? 45’s are still allowed INSIDE the house when using dw correct? (It’s only class A that restricts the use of 45’s?)
I had a guy here soldering some stuff on my ac coil and he said, “oh no, I wouldn’t use 45’s. Use 15 or 30’s” Am I missing something?

If it helps, the center of my stove outlet is 16.5 off the wall. There is a ceiling joist 20 inches off the wall. So my plan is to angle back as little as I can to give myself room to get the ceiling box in while clearing that joist. (Which is why I was asking about the different sizes of boxes. Local stove shop priced me out on a 14 inch (#6SSC24)

Thanks in advance for all the help!

Sounds like salesmanship. They are all good products. Perhaps he was comparing DuraPlus triple wall chimney which is a cheaper product? We have had DuraVent system in the house for 15 yrs now with no issues. If you want higher end there is Excel and Olympia (Ventis) which is sold under the Champion brand.

What type of ceiling will you be going through - flat or cathedral (sloped)? Is there an attic or room above that the chimney will be going through?

This is what I’m working with. The measurements I gave account for 1 inch stone on that back wall.

Attachments

• 28835F69-F81B-4FF8-B1F7-32575C6C2FE4.jpeg
    28835F69-F81B-4FF8-B1F7-32575C6C2FE4.jpeg
    173.2 KB · Views: 97
The Alderlea may not need an adapter depending on the stovepipe brand. Our Alderlea does not have one with DVL. Yes, 45's are allowed in stovepipe, but not in chimney pipe. We have a 45º offset coming off the stove. Use the stovepipe mfg's offset tables to get the measurements. How tall will the overal flue system be?

45_flue_offest_web.jpg

Last edited:
The hearth looks a bit shallow. What is the depth? Does the stove have the AC02710 heat shield? The minimum is about 41" with that shield and double-wall connector.

The hearth looks a bit shallow. What is the depth? Does the stove have the AC02710 heat shield? The minimum is about 41" with that shield and double-wall connector.
The hearth is 44 inches (the stone and hearthstones add 2.5 inches to what’s there- 1 inch stone plus 1.5 inch overhang) My hearthstones are 22 inch plus there will probably be a 3/8 grout.
the plan is to set the hearthstones first, then do the rock on the wall so that will eat a bit. The thickest stones are 1 inch but more are .5 inch)

So you came right out of the stove with the 45? I thought I had read that they require a minimum of 12 inch pipe out of the stove? (Found the pic from the online manual- is that 12 inch notation just if using a 90?)
8059F4D3-8E5E-48C2-846A-CAD81ED14870.png 06A1EF6C-F1B7-4546-8C09-EA55952A3546.png

Last edited:
So you came right out of the stove with the 45? I thought I had read that they require a minimum of 12 inch pipe out of the stove? (Found the pic from the online manual- is that 12 inch notation just if using a 90?)
Normally it is recommneded to be higher, especially with a minimal height flue. We have a 20' total height flue and draft is not an issue, especially with the PE. I tried the offset near the ceiling and she thought it looked better down low, so I switched and agree. The offset draws less visual attention closer to the stove than up at the ceiling. Yes, the 12" is for a 90º elbow. If I were coming off the stove with a 90º then I would definitely recommend going vertical first for at least 12", preferably more.
The hearth is 44 inches (the stone and hearthstones add 2.5 inches to what’s there- 1 inch stone plus 1.5 inch overhang) My hearthstones are 22 inch plus there will probably be a 3/8 grout.
That'll work with the rear heatshield on the stove.

Last edited: