Stove/chimney thermometers and proper operating temp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Burns

Hearth Supporter
Feb 21, 2007
CT
So are thermometers worth having? I think I have figured out the right combo of fuel air etc. to burn efficiently, but I never know exactly how hot the stove actually is. What is a good temp to run at and what is too hot. I use a PE summit insert, i also would assume every stove has a slightly different opperating temp. Just curious

Welcome to Hearthnet

Having the summit insert the only place to take it's temperature is off the front just outside the top of the door. The #'s there will be alittle different than your standard stovetop temps.

Hogwildz has the insert so he may be more help.

I run mine between 400-800 stovetop depending how much heat I need.

Hey Homer. Thermometers are great guides for burning. I have a stack and a stove top thermometer and they have helped me improve my burning habits and get more heat from each load of wood. They help you fine tune your burning regimen and indicate how much heat you are getting from the wood. Temp dropping? Maybe the wood is not as dry as you thought. Temp too high - oopsy, I guess I left the air control wide open.

Status
Not open for further replies.