STT, Flue temps, Auber Thermometer.. necessary, or stove geek gear?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dajolu

Nov 27, 2023
New York
I’m all about geeking out on stuff I like but is all this stuff necessary to run a stove? I’m eagerly waiting to get my Green Mountain 60 insert fired up, But do i really need a stove top and flue pipe thermometer to run it (effectively)? In my first house I had a VC Montpelier (Gen 1) insert that i ran often and seemed to run it pretty well with not much effort. Now I’m about to have a free standing stove and wonder how it may behave differently. . I have to be honest, I’m not sure my wife will like the look of all these thermometers hooked up, let alone me constantly checking them to see how everything is performing 😬.

Reactions: Graphite
I’m all about geeking out on stuff I like but is all this stuff necessary to run a stove? I’m eagerly waiting to get my Green Mountain 60 insert fired up, But do i really need a stove top and flue pipe thermometer to run it (effectively)? In my first house I had a VC Montpelier (Gen 1) insert that i ran often and seemed to run it pretty well with not much effort. Now I’m about to have a free standing stove and wonder how it may behave differently. . I have to be honest, I’m not sure my wife will like the look of all these thermometers hooked up, let alone me constantly checking them to see how everything is performing 😬.
You need to monitor cat temps. And I would recommend flue temps as well. The rests isn't really needed but nice to know

Reactions: Graphite and Dajolu
You need to monitor cat temps. And I would recommend flue temps as well. The rests isn't really needed but nice to know

The green mountain has a Cat thermometer, so I guess I will work with that in the beginning.. probably get a flue temp thermometer as well. . Eventually.

I started with STT via IR gun. It was ok. I kept chasing my own tail. I’d make a change wait what thought was and ok amount of time and see that temps were not where I wanted then one make another in the same direction then find out I went to far. Auber washer probe let me see how fast the STT were actually changing from my chair. Result was fewer adjustments just because I was too lazy to get up. I got good at reading the flames and the STT I would say flue temps were not needed. I got a second stove and went right to flue temps. It shortens the learning curve. Air adjustments can be seen in flue gas temps almost immediately.

When it’s most useful is trying to ride the low end output for a tube stove. And learning a new stove.

and the alarm is worth it alone.

I was hesitant to get an Auber. I mean, who wants glowing red numbers mounted in their beautiful hearth/stove area??

Well, about a week after I installed it, I noticed it’s not so intrusive at all, and at a quick glance, I can look away from my TV, coffee, a game of jinga with the kids, and see that everything is good,…or a couple times, I needed to get up and slow things down before they got to the point that it’s my nose and ears that put us in a tense few minutes.

I can see when it’s headed above my desired target for that load, by how rapidly it’s increasing as it nears my target, and decide if I want to intervene preemptively. When I do jump in, I have time to experiment with the damper and intake to see what my adjustments are doing.

Now, I CAN tell when the stove is getting too hot just by watching it and smelling it, but, usually it’s because it’s giving signs of being too hot…because it’s too hot. With the Auber, I can see that it’s rising, too fast for too long and not slowing as it nears the point in which I would normally be seeing it slow down for the approach to the peak temp.

Quite comforting actually.

Last edited:
I have 3 thermometers, a Condar probe flue thermometer, Condar magnetic stove top thermometer and a Condar magnetic thermometer installed on the front next to the door. I really never use the stove top thermometer. The most important one to me is the Condar probe thermometer in the flue, it permits me to react quickly to what is happening and enables me to adjust the air intake accordingly or add would if required. I easily can see it from my Lazy-Boy.
Second most important is the thermometer on the front next to the door.
I have been using these for many many years, works extremely well and simple.

Last edited:
I have a thermocouple in my stove pipe and a digital display. I love the instant feedback. If I turn on the range hood, I see that it affects the draft by the drop in stove pipe temperature. It is that sensitive.

The rate of increase/decrease tells me what action I need to take and I don't have to wait for the lag associated with a bimetallic coil.

I can start a fire in the morning and take a shower without worrying about the stove because I can watch the temperature on my phone while I am in the shower. The phone is outside the shower, but I can read the temperature through the glass.

I can watch the temperature from anywhere I can get and internet signal.

For me, with my non-cat easy breathing stove and strong draft, I would not be without the digital display.

If the power goes out, I can pull the thermocouple and install the old thermometer. I still have it.

I can start a fire in the morning and take a shower without worrying about the stove because I can watch the temperature on my phone while I am in the shower. The phone is outside the shower, but I can read the temperature through the glass.

I can watch the temperature from anywhere I can get and internet signal.
If you can see your phone, your phone can see you.
Sorry.
Couldn’t help myself.

I’ve found over the years that flue temps are the best way for me to monitor what’s going on with my stoves and to fine tune them for optimum performance. I had the Auber thermocouple for years and it was quicker to react but didn’t really like the wire hanging around. I’ve switched over to the Condar Fluegard and feel it is close enough accurate compared to the Auber but just a bit slower to react.

Reactions: Graphite
Is there a quality double wall flue temp thermometer with a face that is all black? I know it wouldn't be as easy to see if the temps are too cold or hot. But I think I prefer a thermometer that blends in with the stove pipe a little more.

I run the stove almost exclusively now with the Auber. Nothing I have used in the past decades has provided me with the precise control of an instant reading, digital thermometer. The remote wireless unit puts the icing on the cake. Previously I used a Condar probe thermometer, but the response was glacial compared to the Auber. When I replaced the stove pipe I went with the Auber exclusively.

Reactions: NHWS and kcmclellan
i still just watch the flames
In a power outage I do the same though the Auber has taught me that looks can be deceiving. This morning's fire had low flames that were mostly at the back of the firebox. Looked pretty mellow, but the flue temp was heading toward 700º. Time to turn down the air.

If I could put the Auber Probe in the back of the stove pipe and try to keep the wire out of sight the best I can I may be interested in it. I guess ill get the stove hooked up first and then go from there.

Can be done so the wire is not visible, at least from the front of the stove.
Unknown.jpeg

Reactions: Dajolu
If I could put the Auber Probe in the back of the stove pipe and try to keep the wire out of sight the best I can I may be interested in it. I guess ill get the stove hooked up first and then go from there.
That's how I installed mine.

Mines in the back. I also have a black imperial in the front.

IMG_3497.jpeg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Dajolu
Well, that didn’t last long. Maybe three days. Face is brown and print is fading. It didn’t like 750.
IMG_3444.jpeg

IMG_3491.jpeg

• Sad
Reactions: begreen
To have to be honest, I’m not sure my wife will like the look of all these thermometers hooked up, let alone me constantly checking them to see how everything is performing 😬.
Hmmmm. My wife of 51 years is all for the Auber digital. No hiding cables or the display. She understands it's importance and uses it . "Happy stove, happy life" or somrthing like that.

Reactions: kcmclellan
Mine is installed on the back side of the pipe out of view. If your worried about looks, get the Auber that comes with the remote display. Then you could simply put the plugged in display behind the stove out of site and use the remote display for monitoring.

Mine is installed on the back side of the pipe out of view. If your worried about looks, get the Auber that comes with the remote display. Then you could simply put the plugged in display behind the stove out of site and use the remote display for monitoring.

Yea I think I am going to go that route.

I look at mine all the time. I look beside the stove at it in the summertime to see how well the A/C is doing. It’s pretty accurate for that too. My stove pipe is usually within a degree or two of what the thermostat in the hall says when the stove is cold.

Reactions: kcmclellan
I look at mine all the time. I look beside the stove at it in the summertime to see how well the A/C is doing. It’s pretty accurate for that too. My stove pipe is usually within a degree or two of what the thermostat in the hall says when the stove is cold.
I'm tempted to get one to use for a meat thermometer on my smoker.

Reactions: ozarkoak
I have done a lot of research and I am leaning towards not adding a probe. It seems like with a probe I would spend my time chasing a flue temp which will be constantly changing. I have a large glass window on the of the stove so I 100% know what is going on in the fire box. If I can see the fire and know my STT what would be the benefit of a probe?