Stove Chow / Fireside Ultras

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No worries boys/girls, Your local pellet house will still have fuel. Some brands are around the same cost as the box's are fetching. I wouldn't be surprised if the boxes start raising prices as we get closer to spring.
No worries here... Still have over half of the years supply left. I'll be ordering another 4 tons in a couple months for next year. Hoping to start next year with 5 tons. Just gotta convince the boss!

Wow 30 hours with stove chow / FSU and my window is still see thru.....amazing...

Wow 30 hours with stove chow / FSU and my window is still see thru.....amazing...
I concur,... im loving this batch of chow,.... musta got the good ones from Canada.

Stove chow is an Energex product,.. my bags say made in america,... but they have two plants,.. one in Pa,..and the other is in Quebec,

I bought a few bags of Chow from the HD in W. Leb., NH last week. It was the first time I'd ever seen them in these parts. I thought they were pretty darn good. Main thing was they burned clean; I mean clean - like I burned them during the two-day thaw really marginal on low-low, and still, clean glass. Ash was on the low end of moderate for me. They're on the short side, feed fast, and burned quickly - decent heat but not long burn time. Because of that, they're pretending to be a little hotter than they really are IMHO. Still, for the price and the clean burn, I was toying with the idea of grabbing a ton - they had a pile of them; maybe a hundred tons. Was back at HD tonight grabbing some odds and ends and, lo and behold, they were gone - sold out, or moved them out to another store (they seem to do that will pellets; truck them around to other stores when they have too many in one place). All they had left was the North American - they've had about a thousand tons of those just sitting there since December - can't seem to give them away. Should have bought 'em while I had the chance - based on the the four bags I burned I thought they were an excellent shoulder pellet and beat the FUs I've burned hands down.

I wouldn't hesitate to by another ton of chow,.def one of the best pellets ive burned. my HD just got a truck load of green supreme,...but now the chow is all gone.. :((

I bought several bags of Stove Chow from the HD on the Berlin Turnpike just prior to the Blizzard. I've been burning them over the past week and have been very pleased. I think they are very comparable to the EasyBlaze I have been burning. The heat output is the same, the ash level is the same, and the Chow seems to have less fines. The only negative on the Chow is that the bags aren't as sturdy. I went out and bought a ton of the Chow today. If it goes on sale in the Spring, I'll buy 3 tons for next year.

I'm good on pellets for this year and half of next, went to HD today ( they only sell chow) and I was told they are sold out and no more deliveries of pellets this year, they need rack room for spring. I then went to lowes and they had 5 ton of cheat that were sold waiting for delivery and that's it for the year....boy I'm glad I stocked up.

Are these any good? They had them @ the Portsmouth, NH HD today (maybe 15 bags on a pellet)

Green Supreme burns great in my Accentra FS. Bought 3 tons at the start of the season (that's all I could store) and have been very happy. When HD had Fireside Ultra I tried 6 bags and liked them just as much, and perhaps a bit more given the consistently small pellet size. Since the stove does not adjust the feed rate for the size of the pellet it seems to me more is delivered to the burn pot with each rotation of the auger, resulting in a hotter burn in a given period of time. Just thinkin.

Fu were the best box store pellet for me, followed by green supreme. The MWP in the white bags were awful. Never seen so much ash in my life.

Stove chow is an Energex product,.. my bags say made in america,... but they have two plants,.. one in Pa,..and the other is in Quebec,
Stove Chow is Energex American...Fireside Ultra is Energex Canadian.

I'm good on pellets for this year and half of next, went to HD today ( they only sell chow) and I was told they are sold out and no more deliveries of pellets this year, they need rack room for spring. I then went to lowes and they had 5 ton of cheat that were sold waiting for delivery and that's it for the year....boy I'm glad I stocked up.

Wow... according to HD website, I have about 24,850 bags in stock ( all with in 30 miles) around me..

Status
Not open for further replies.