Stove Door question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jscheiner.09

Oct 12, 2021
Connecticut USA
Good evening,
Just purhased a house with a wood stove. It will be the first one we have owned before.
The wood stove is located in our bedroom. We were wondering if it were possible to replace the door to glass on this unit? Is it cost effective at that point or shouId we move this stove to another location in the house and get one with a glass door? Thank you!

Screenshot 2021-10-12 224340.png

Welcome. I'm sorry to say that there are many things wrong with this picture. The hearth for this Franklin style fireplace is woefully inadequate. There needs to be at least 16" protection in front of the stove. Second is that this is not permitted to be in a bedroom in most jurisdictions. The side cabinet is much too close. It needs to be 36" away. The rear clearance behind the stove is also too low assuming that is a brick veneer on drywall behind it. And no, there is no possibility of glass doors for this stove.

Thanks for info. Looks like I came to the right place. So that picture is of the old setup of room (we literally just purchased the home and have not moved in yet). Good to know about the door. Maybe I’ll replace it with a different one shortly after I move in. Recommendations of something that is budget friendly and would fit this setup?

Hard to see with the small photo but that looks like Franklin type stove. If it is, its not an efficient stove. Its surprising the installation would have made it through an inspection. As noted its an illegal install in most jurisdictions. If the house was inspected by third party it should have been disclosed as part of the inspection. Its likely that your home insurance is not aware of it and if there is loss it would not be covered. If this is indicative of other burning appliances in the house, definitely get a inspector to go through any of the other appliances. The only thing to do with that stove is remove it and seal off the connection as with what looks like multiple flues there is a chance that carbon monoxide could be drawn back into room from another appliance.

Reactions: clancey
Thanks for info. Looks like I came to the right place. So that picture is of the old setup of room (we literally just purchased the home and have not moved in yet). Good to know about the door. Maybe I’ll replace it with a different one shortly after I move in. Recommendations of something that is budget friendly and would fit this setup?
A solid fuel stove cannot be used in a bedroom in the USA

Reactions: clancey
It appears this rule of no wood stoves in bedrooms is not true and fast. "So wood-burning fireplaces are permitted in bedrooms on two conditions: (a) they must not be in a "confined space" and, (b) if "decorative gas-fired appliances for installation in vented solid fuel burning fireplaces" (gas logs) are installed they must be "listed"." https://www.rumford.com/code/IMC.html

Read it over and let me know what you think as I am still learning.

It appears this rule of no wood stoves in bedrooms is not true and fast. "So wood-burning fireplaces are permitted in bedrooms on two conditions: (a) they must not be in a "confined space" and, (b) if "decorative gas-fired appliances for installation in vented solid fuel burning fireplaces" (gas logs) are installed they must be "listed"." https://www.rumford.com/code/IMC.html

Read it over and let me know what you think as I am still learning.
Well yes but just about every bedroom is a confined space. And we aren't talking about gas here but it could be a solution if all other installation issues were addressed

I wonder how old this home is? it had to pass code when the fireplace stand was installed unless it was installed later. It could be this bedroom was large enough for a wood stove. Just trying to look at this from every perspective. How are we to define the word "confined space?" It would be good to know if this comes up again.

I wonder how old this home is? it had to pass code when the fireplace stand was installed unless it was installed later. It could be this bedroom was large enough for a wood stove. Just trying to look at this from every perspective. How are we to define the word "confined space?" It would be good to know if this comes up again.
What makes you think it had to pass code when it was installed?

bholler, thanks for you comment. In my last home I owned I built a sunroom which was attached to my home. It was 14x22 the plans included a wood stove. The plans were approved by the building department. The building inspector came out and checked my footings, and then my electrical, roofing and my wood stove install. They he gave me a clean bill of health and signed the paper work. This is standard procedure. You can't do new construction without permits and inspections. Now I just had a bath fan installed in my bathroom and it had to be inspected.
I have done other done additions for people and having inspections is just normal routine. It could be the person who started this thread has a large bedroom. I am not trying to be disagreeable just trying to learn. I have learned allot over the last year reading on this forum and am very thankful I found it.

bholler, thanks for you comment. In my last home I owned I built a sunroom which was attached to my home. It was 14x22 the plans included a wood stove. The plans were approved by the building department. The building inspector came out and checked my footings, and then my electrical, roofing and my wood stove install. They he gave me a clean bill of health and signed the paper work. This is standard procedure. You can't do new construction without permits and inspections. Now I just had a bath fan installed in my bathroom and it had to be inspected.
I have done other done additions for people and having inspections is just normal routine. It could be the person who started this thread has a large bedroom. I am not trying to be disagreeable just trying to learn. I have learned allot over the last year reading on this forum and am very thankful I found it.
I am not being disagreeable either. But just because you get permits and inspections doesn't mean everyone does. In fact in our area only 2 municipalities require us to get permits or inspections for stove and chimney installs unless they are masonry chimneys with footers. Then you have to realize many inspectors simply don't know the codes and Pass things that shouldn't. For example even on new construction I would say one out of 20 or so masonry chimneys actually have the required clearances

A friend of mine was looking at installing a wood stove where he lives in south central WI. That particular township requires NO building permit or inspection for the installation of a chimney or a wood stove. So, there's another example.

Speaking of bedrooms and confined spaces.... When I put in an offer on the house I'm sitting in right now, there were no doors on the bedrooms. It seems the owner didn't see any reason to install one for his bedroom. He told me his 16 yr old daughter's room had a door, until she had a boy in there with the door closed. Then off came the door.

Anyway, the bank REQUIRED doors to be installed on the bedrooms, because otherwise they were not considered bedrooms and this was a zero bedroom house. So, by their definition a bedroom must be an enclosed space. That could change from underwriter to underwriter, I suppose.

I'm glad this thread was posted, because I had never considered that a solid fuel device would not be allowed to be installed in a bedroom before I read it. Thanks. I am always learning something on here.

Reactions: bholler
A friend of mine was looking at installing a wood stove where he lives in south central WI. That particular township requires NO building permit or inspection for the installation of a chimney or a wood stove. So, there's another example.

Speaking of bedrooms and confined spaces.... When I put in an offer on the house I'm sitting in right now, there were no doors on the bedrooms. It seems the owner didn't see any reason to install one for his bedroom. He told me his 16 yr old daughter's room had a door, until she had a boy in there with the door closed. Then off came the door.

Anyway, the bank REQUIRED doors to be installed on the bedrooms, because otherwise they were not considered bedrooms and this was a zero bedroom house. So, by their definition a bedroom must be an enclosed space. That could change from underwriter to underwriter, I suppose.

I'm glad this thread was posted, because I had never considered that a solid fuel device would not be allowed to be installed in a bedroom before I read it. Thanks. I am always learning something on here.
Even if permits and inspections are required. There will be plenty who just ignore that requirement and do what they want

Reactions: fbelec
Hey All,
Looks like I stirred the pot.

To my knowledge, but will double check:
- Those are real bricks behind stove that go into chimney, not brick veneer.
- The bedroom is actually quite large
- The chimney that it goes to has multiple flues

This house was built in the late 60's but I am unsure when the stove was installed.

Thanks!

Hey All,
Looks like I stirred the pot.

To my knowledge, but will double check:
- Those are real bricks behind stove that go into chimney, not brick veneer.
- The bedroom is actually quite large
- The chimney that it goes to has multiple flues

This house was built in the late 60's but I am unsure when the stove was installed.

Thanks!
Real brick over what? Even if it's real brick if there are combustibles behind them that's a problem. The hearth is way too small. And quite large doesn't mean it isn't a confined space.

Most of those stoves were made in the mid 70s so I would guess the install was in that time period.

In the vast majority of states there are building codes adopted by the state that apply to every house in the state. The problem is enforcement is left up to local jurisdictions and rural jurisdictions frequently decide not to enforce the rules. In many cases the building permit is mostly a document to flag to the local tax assessor that its time to reassess the property. Just because the homeowner or builder ignores the rules does not mean that what is being done is not illegal its just no one had died or been injured yet. Insurance companies know this but figure its worth writing policies and then going to court after the fact if the payout is high. Homeowners rarely get tagged for poor quality installs but contractors may. There was a string of illegal gas installs in my state about 10 years ago and a couple of contractors got convicted of manslaughter when their not to code installs lead to deaths.

Reactions: clancey and bholler