Stove for large fireplace, max heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hudsonvalley

Sep 19, 2019
Hudson Valley, NY
58976A9E-B505-43AB-A357-314231A28374.jpeg
Hi,

I’m looking to put a wood stove into this fireplace, the house was built in 1775 and would like something that fits the house. The dimensions of the fire place are 78”x36”x27”

I have a wood stove insert in the living room that heats that area but I’m looking to generate a lot of heat with what I put in the fireplace pictured above. I’m new to this so I don’t really know what to look for, any tips or advice would be appreciated. Fireplace flues and chimney were replaced not too long ago. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would put the stove on the floor in front of the fireplace. Stuffing it in there will not give you a lot of heat.

Reactions: Zack R
I agree with @Geoff C - install a large freestanding stove in front for max heat. Anytime you reduce the surface area exposed to the room (such as tucking a stove into a small space such as this, or an insert) you won't achieve max heat.

View attachment 247792
Hi,

I’m looking to put a wood stove into this fireplace, the house was built in 1775 and would like something that fits the house. The dimensions of the fire place are 78”x36”x27”

I have a wood stove insert in the living room that heats that area but I’m looking to generate a lot of heat with what I put in the fireplace pictured above. I’m new to this so I don’t really know what to look for, any tips or advice would be appreciated. Fireplace flues and chimney were replaced not too long ago. Thanks!
You will need a liner sized for what ever stove you choose regardless of the fact that you have a new chimney.

Reactions: blacktail
Thanks, unfortunately I don’t have room for a stove in front of it.
Not a problem. An insert or a freestanding stove with a blower can convect the heat out satisfactorily.

What stove models have you looked at that you like the looks? How big is the room?

It looks like the raised hearth pad of that fireplace is newer than the rest, are you open to rebuilding it?
The room isn’t that big and I was hoping it would spread to over parts of the house. The room is around 500 sq ft with high ceilings.

I’ve looked at Enviro and Farringdon so far.
If the room has large openings to other areas of the house then the heat may convect to them. A ceiling fan can help heat to circulate if there is one. Enviro makes a good quality stove. I am surprised to hear that Farringdon is sold in the states. This is the first time I have seen this. Are they EPA certified?

There’s a ceiling fan and two doorways going into a hallway and dining room. Every farringdon model I’ve looked at are EPA certified.
A standard 36" or less doorway will be restrictive. A wide 6' opening between rooms much less so. If the former is the case sometimes air circulation can be nicely improved by blowing air from the cooler section of the house into the stove room. Search on "move heat" for many threads on this topic.

There is something very wrong with that fireplace. Can you post a wider shot, please? I suspect major modifications were made after 1775, based on the narrow view you’ve provided.

Point being, it may be worth consideration of un-doing some of those modifications to open things back up. One of the fireplaces in my current house (this fireplace was added in 1775, coincidentally) was also closed in after its usefulness as a cooker was over. I have since opened it back up to original dimensions.

There is something very wrong with that fireplace. Can you post a wider shot, please? I suspect major modifications were made after 1775, based on the narrow view you’ve provided.

Point being, it may be worth consideration of un-doing some of those modifications to open things back up. One of the fireplaces in my current house (this fireplace was added in 1775, coincidentally) was also closed in after its usefulness as a cooker was over. I have since opened it back up to original dimensions.
Yes clearly the floor was raised and lintel lowered.

Here’s the new photo, don’t want to redo anything.
I wasn't saying you should. But you could probably remove that floor extension pretty easily which would give you plenty of height for lots of stoves. Also if that is actually the old wood lintel in there make sure the liner is insulated really well in that area. We usually run them through a piece of 7" class a chimney to get past them safely. If it is just a board put in to look like that just make sure the liner insulation in in place there.

Not "redo", but "undo". What you are looking at there is not the original fireplace, the floor would have been flush with your living room floor, and the brick arch was added much later. It would have been open to that wood lintel, which you would also never see, as that would have been under plaster. The reason I mention all of this is that it would give you a ton of room to install a proper stove.

Mine was done similarly to yours, with the added crime of someone stuffing a gas unit into that reduced opening. I tore all of it out, because none of it was right or original, and it gave me the room to install a real stove.

As we purchased the house:

P4110015.JPG

Gas unit removed:

P6200080.JPG

Interior framing and bricked-in firebox torn out:

P7290004.JPG

100 year old raised hearth addition torn out:

P9290038.JPG

New hearth floor and extension installed:

PC210003.JPG

New stove installed, which would have never fit before:

P1130007.JPG

"Early Old Lady" era wallpaper removed, new office being installed, Jotul swapped for BK Ashford:

office stove.jpg

Look at Kuma

To get back to your initial question. Heating the space will be relatively easy. Some things to look for in a stove for this space are: How easy will it be to maintain the stove and clean the liner? How quiet is the blower? How does the stove load? E/W only or E/W and N/S? How good is dealer support for that stove in your area? If the chimney height is on the short side, how well will the stove draft? Does the stove have fragile parts? Will parts be available in 10 yrs.?

What an awesome room. I would second taking out the raised hearth if needed. That won't be expensive and you might be able to reuse the top set of rocks if it would be level with the existing floor. I think you'll get much better performance and it will look better in the end.