Stove ID/Info Help - Suburban Woodmaster

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Caw

Minister of Fire
May 26, 2020
Massachusetts
Hi Everyone,

A friend of mine is looking to purchase a home and it has an old wood insert that's in kind of rough shape. It looks like it's an old Suburban WoodMaster...I'm unsure on the model number. Does anyone recognize it from the pics and/or can tell me about it? The info plates are covered so this is all we have to go on.. I've seen a few threads about these but nothing too detailed.

This is an old home from the 1920's and I'm not sure how well the appliance was maintained. It obviously would need a thorough inspection before using it. My first impression is yank it and go with something more modern but if it works and they'd only use it for ambience that might be extreme so I'm just searching some info on it. I'm not very familiar with these older stoves...I've only been burning in modern EPA stoves!

I have tons of wood so I'd be happy to donate some for them to try it out.

Thanks!

image1.jpgcdae4c161509bc2eb12a70f2a4578ebf-cc_ft_768.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It's an oldie, possibly installed as a slammer with no liner. Consider it as a liability, not an asset.

Search in this forum for past threads

Yeah those were the two threads I saw. I was just wondering if anyone had any more insight.

I wonder if the stove might cause some issues on inspection? It clearly hasn't been maintained properly and this is an estate sale so its likely been in there for a long time, just judging from the visible condition. How good could the flue be? I'd be very leery of trying it out.

Without a proper inspection, anything would be speculation.

Agreed, I was asking rhetorically. I wonder how much do home inspectors actually pay attention to wood appliances. I've never looked to buy with a pre-existing stove...we added on after the fact. I envision them often passing the buck to a chimney guy.

Some inspectors are good and some are not at all. It pays to get a good one. They should request a chimney inspection if their inspector does not cover this or is not knowledgeable in this area.

Agreed, I was asking rhetorically. I wonder how much do home inspectors actually pay attention to wood appliances. I've never looked to buy with a pre-existing stove...we added on after the fact. I envision them often passing the buck to a chimney guy.
Most just say that a stove exists. And say it should be inspected by a qualified pro

Most just say that a stove exists. And say it should be inspected by a qualified pro

Have you ever run into one of these old things?

From the other threads it appears to be this. Very hard to find anything on it it's so old.

20141028_222236.jpg