Stove ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheflane

May 20, 2014
Puget Sound
Hello all,

New to this forum, and thanks in advance to members' insights.
Bought a home built in the 30's with a couple outbuildings. The larger outbuilding came with this beast & I've let her roar a few times - maybe once or twice a year if the night is unusually cold & I'm in the shop late.
After an hour or so I have to open windows or go outside to cool off occasionally. The pictures may not do it justice, but this thing is massive.
It probably weighs in around 450lbs. and is approx. 50-55 inches tall. (I can measure if need be ) Very wide chimney ducting and heavy-duty spring system on the bottom.
No markings that I can find anywhere.
I recently, with help, moved it out of the shop & I'm not sure what to do with this bohemouth.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
I'm not sure what it is. Looks like a knock-off of a Jotul #4. Look for a made in Taiwan label in the casting.

I'm not sure what it is. Looks like a knock-off of a Jotul #4. Look for a made in Taiwan label in the casting.
I sure will, and I'll let you know tomorrow if I find anything. I could take pics of the spring- firebox-backside as well if you think that'd help.
Couple more bits, the house was built in the 30's but I have no idea when this was acquired and installed.
It is as solid as they come - without any maintenance or upkeep in who knows how long, I can't find a square inch of this guy that needs any serious work.
The shop it heated is over 2,000sq ft - has very tall ceilings (lofted like a barn) and 6" cement floors...this stove made the place unbearably hot & I never saw a single spark hit the ground. It's thoroughly impressed and fascinated me.
I also have an old Whitman pellet stove I have questions about, but I'd like to get to the bottom of this guy, if possible, first.
Thanks again.

Last edited:
No luck finding any markings. There is a track underneath to slide the door like the Jotul 4.
Can't find any matching stoves on google.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 146
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 135
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 137
The lack of markings is what makes me think this is a Taiwan knockoff. They did this frequently during the 80s until a lawsuit stopped them. Most are under the Scandia brand. It looks like the interior firebrick is shot. It should be replaced. It will be proprietary, though a Jotul 4's firebrick may fit fine.

The lack of markings is what makes me think this is a Taiwan knockoff. They did this frequently during the 80s until a lawsuit stopped them. Most are under the Scandia brand. It looks like the interior firebrick is shot. It should be replaced. It will be proprietary, though a Jotul 4's firebrick may fit fine.
With a new firebrick would it be worth anything?
Not sure how the perceived value of this market works...always the optimist, I suppose since production of these units was limited - and knockoff or not, this puppy roars - there would be some interest in it.
On the other hand, it may be forever locked in an "almost a great stove" as far as market value is concerned.
I wouldn't mind having it restored as well, but that tree may be fruitless.
I ran out of room for it in the shop - so it's going to be moving along one way or another.

Stoves like this go for about $200 during the heating season, though I'm not sure if that stove can be sold in WA state anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.