Stove install in pole barn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Do you have anything covering the top of the support box? If so that works great

No. Neither of my installs have anything on top of the tall boxes to prevent a bird from flying down inside and dying. They are 18 or 24” tall though which is well above the insulation level.

No. Neither of my installs have anything on top of the tall boxes to prevent a bird from flying down inside and dying. They are 18 or 24” tall though which is well above the insulation level.
It s more about mice or other critters aking a nest in there around the pipe and causing a fire. You really should cover them.

It s more about mice or other critters aking a nest in there around the pipe and causing a fire. You really should cover them.

Im familiar with his install and the open top. What would be suggested to "top it off"? Whats the norm when you install them? Some places cant fit the insulation shield.

Im familiar with his install and the open top. What would be suggested to "top it off"? Whats the norm when you install them? Some places cant fit the insulation shield.
I either extend the box all the way up to the bottom of the roof where it is then covered by the flashing and storm collar. Or I use Olympia's square storm collar they make to top off the box. I am sure other manufacturers have solutions.

Alright I extended mine with aluminum flashing that I formed into a box that protrudes through roof opening since the attic shield wouldnt fit and I needed to reinstall my insulation.
Any problems with this?

Resized_20180122_181602_7161.jpeg

What is total height of chimney? Might want to go 2 - 45degree elbows instead of the 1 90 for better draft.

Alright I extended mine with aluminum flashing that I formed into a box that protrudes through roof opening since the attic shield wouldnt fit and I needed to reinstall my insulation.
Any problems with this?

View attachment 238888
Nope that's fine as long as everything is closed off well enough to keep mice out

What kind of caulk/sealant do I need for my Dektite boot and brace bracket? I read somewhere it needs to be a specific high temp sealant

What kind of caulk/sealant do I need for my Dektite boot and brace bracket? I read somewhere it needs to be a specific high temp sealant
I don't use boots at all. I only use metal flashing so I have no idea. What does the manufacturer spec

The manufacturer that I use makes a squared off storm collar specifically for their square cathedral ceiling boxes

The manufacturer that I use makes a squared off storm collar specifically for their square cathedral ceiling boxes
Yes we use those allot.

No the support box would be at the bottom of the chimney insulation sheild on top of that.

The reason I asked about the use is because by code solid fuel appliances cannot be installed in garages or any spaces where gasoline or other flammable vapors are present.

Was going to add, Farm Bureau agent told friend of mind FB would not insure a "garage" with any kind of wood, coal, pellet, stove. Had to be nat gas, propane, or electric. Something to think about???

I still prefer metal flashing. It lasts allot longer

I still prefer metal flashing. It lasts allot longer

Do they make a metal flashing specific for metal roof pole barns? Do you happen to have a link that I could take a look at?

I think the boots look a bit goofy, but they seem easy to put on and conform to the ridges on the metal.

Do they make a metal flashing specific for metal roof pole barns? Do you happen to have a link that I could take a look at?

I think the boots look a bit goofy, but they seem easy to put on and conform to the ridges on the metal.
Excell makes one so does ventis but I always just use regular flashing.