Stove installed!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mcstatz5829

Jul 11, 2018
Indianapolis
2825CCD1-5630-4AB3-A74E-4E8A04D10C83.jpeg

Mantel is on order. Doing floating shelf style.

Really worried that most of the heat is going to escape up the chimney and it won’t do a good job heating the house. I think I may have made a mistake here...

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you install a block off plate? Does the stove have a fan kit?

If not on either of these then you will not be getting much heat out of it.

View attachment 228082

Mantel is on order. Doing floating shelf style.

Really worried that most of the heat is going to escape up the chimney and it won’t do a good job heating the house. I think I may have made a mistake here...
A block-off plate in the damper area will help a lot with keeping the heat in the room. I'd consider it a necessity for this installation. With a blower the heating should be ok.

I don’t think they did a block off plate. The vent is straight up through the existing flue liner.

No blower. There’s an optional kit, but I was told it gets mounted on the rear of the stove. Had to set all the way back so I had enough room in front on the hearth.

I should probably have them come back out and do the block off plate, huh?

You have plenty of room to pull the stove out into the room and put a blower, you'll be golden.

Side question - the manual says the logs should be loaded “endwise”. Is endwise N/S or E/W?
You can load the stove either direction with 18" wood. I'd suggest loading N/S until you get the hang of running it. Were you able to get a good supply of fully seasoned wood?

The blower adds ~3" depth to the back of the stove.

I’m definitely going to have them come back out and fabricate and install a block off plate.

Still not sure on the blower. I don’t think there’s much room to pull out the stove and have the outlet line up with the flue liner. And I know I don’t have any room to pull out if I want to meet the 16” clearance for in front of the door. I was thinking fan on the floor blowing cold air on the stove might help?

The block off plate will help a lot, but all the brick is going to suck in a lot of heat before they warm up. Just have to try it and see.

Is the blower for that stove that big? Mine only sticks out from the back a couple inches.

I’m actually considering just doing it myself. Only worry is moving the stove. I’m not very strong and it’s 585 lbs. I was thinking vacuum out the box and clean the floor real well, use a small scissor jack to lift up the corners one at a time, slide some cardboard underneath - maybe soak the cardboard in oil first? Then once I get out to the wood floor replace the cardboard with those sliders on tv where the guy is moving around a car?

Anyone else move a stove solo? Any advice?

Wool rags work better than cardboard. And strip the stove as much as you can: take off front door, ash drawer, ash grate, side panels or whatever you can (without damaging the stove or loosing hours doing it) before moving. Ask a buddy for a helping hand. Even the wife can pull quite a heavy weight, she might surprise you!

Strips of sheet metal work best under the legs. We put self adhesive rubber strips on the bottom so the metal doesnt slide on the floor but the stove slides easily.

Be green has the same stove and says in 3 inches. I have EXACTLY 16 inches from front of door to front of hearth
You'll need to move the stove forward a bit to accommodate the blower. This will require a hearth extension which usually is not a big deal. The T6 just needs ember protection for the hearth. This could be as simple as a sheet of metal tacked to the floor.

Use just Roxul and you will be fine. Don't use the mentioned radiant barrier. It's not necessary and I would not trust it next to a hot liner. Roxul or kaowool is what should be used.

2F2DA37A-EC05-4B02-9968-BC9F07CC236C.jpeg

Well it went from bad to worse. Managed to get the screws out and work it slightly out. No room to get much leverage. Basically just budged enough so I can’t get screws back in. Thinking WD40 in the morning. If that doesn’t work I’ll have to call in pros.

Last edited by a moderator:
If its a tight fit with no movement then you will need to loosen the anchor cap on top of the chimney and pull up a little.

If its a tight fit with no movement then you will need to loosen the anchor cap on top of the chimney and pull up a little.

Ahhh heck no. I don’t do heights.

Even with WD40 and a strap wrench I can’t get any more movement out of the sucker.

Chimney guys open at 7 and I’ll be in the lobby then.

Little disappointed they didn’t do the professional thing and install a block plate. At least try to up sell me on one!

More disappointed in my self. I asked the installer when they were taking a break what would keep the heat from going up the chimney. He said it would be fine. I shouldn’t have let it go then.

Actually I should have posted here asking for advice before I even started talking with contractors. You’ve all been great and I’ve found other great resources on this site.

Ahhh heck no. I don’t do heights.

Even with WD40 and a strap wrench I can’t get any more movement out of the sucker.

Chimney guys open at 7 and I’ll be in the lobby then.

Little disappointed they didn’t do the professional thing and install a block plate. At least try to up sell me on one!

More disappointed in my self. I asked the installer when they were taking a break what would keep the heat from going up the chimney. He said it would be fine. I shouldn’t have let it go then.

Actually I should have posted here asking for advice before I even started talking with contractors. You’ve all been great and I’ve found other great resources on this site.
Unfortunatly blockoff plates are not required by code or manufacturers so they really are not standatd practice at all. Things like that are the reason we will almost always get beat on price. But the cheaper guys simply arent doing the same job we do

Since your not a "heights guy" familiarize yourself to how the stove comes apart while its still clean inside, that way you can do bottom up cleanings during the season and know what your doing because everything will be much dirtier.

Quick side questions. With my tight tolerances, what’s the best way to monitor stove and flue temps?

And there is some white insulation in the stove. I assume it’s meant to be there?