Stove Lighting in 15 days J.A. Jung Sirius wood stove..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Ha Ha Ha ---Already ordered a half of face hoping I can fit it somewhere after I load the wood shed and I might have extra --lol Tomorrow I will call the company and it will be mixed....Can't believe I am a beginning fire keeper...and I guess never too late to learn...I tell you one thing this ash gets on you whether your careful or not ---my arms had black stripes on them---thanks everyone..old clancey..

Reactions: thewoodlands
Awesome Clancey! so glad you got brave and added wood. as well as taking steps to be warm when other systems are out for whatever reason. looks perfect!
I did send you that link on the noise, didn't I?
it has impacted enough people to make a small segment on a show.
I am on the other end of the spectrum - i live in a much quieter world than most - great, except I am a ham radio guy - and very thankful for audio processing to lower frequencies to what I can hear.

Thanks MrCool and will jump unto my other thread to say anything about the noise and I do have a update on things...See you there..As far as fire wood burning----I am hooked...old clancey

Reactions: JbTech
...I know that you people have no sympathy for this little old lady but that's how it has been also .. Thanks again...old clancey

Just a thought outside the box here, I love your willingness to learn something new!

Noone addressed your comment, but I would guess you are incorrect in thinking noone cares!

thank you jb tech and this thread is for wood stove burning but I have another thread that is called Clancey's believe it or not that's floating around here somewhere from today and I just love the sympathy because i needed it...lol lol Thanks so much and I am waiting for the cold weather to come to my state and it has not yet but last night it was 20 degrees but now it seems warmer once again so I won't light my stove until it gets cold enough...About the sympathy I was just kidding them all and it was not meant to be serious but you are a nice considerate person indeed and I hope you stay with this forum for a long time and learn all you can...Thanks for the posting..old clancey

Well I am going to light my stove again for tonight will be in the 30's maybe or the 40's and a warmer streak seems to be coming in and Friday will be colder..My back porch gets really cold at night and in the morning so I thought i would enjoy the stove tonight...I have questions with pictures...The first question is one of my stove window screws is loose---not the screw--that's seem tight but the washer moves around--I took a picture...Now I loaded the stove and I have three pieces of 16 inch kiln dried wood in there and would this be too much wood? Also I have no kindling and I am using rolled up balls of paper plug some fat sticks and is this okay to use..so I took a picture of this too...Any suggestions you have would be a teaching experience and a learning one for me since I am very new at this stuff...I took a moisture reading and it is 10%...I will not light the stove until you tell me to go for it because of that one screw at the edge of the window . old clancey

Stove lighting 003.JPG Stove lighting 006.JPG Stove lighting 007.JPG

The loading is fine. It'd be not enough wood for me, but for only an evening fire, it'll do.

The bolt should not be that loose imo; it does not out pressure on the seal. However, be careful; too much pressure could (very easily!) crack the glass.

Thanks just the washer is loose the bolt is still very tight---do you think I can light the stove with this washer loose inside the tight bolt? Because I can wait until I get someone to check it out and a loaded fireplace can just stay loaded--lol...Want it to be safe but want a wood fire toooooo...clancey

Place your hands flat on the window, one hand on the out, the other on the inside. If you press your hands together and can move the glass, the it's too loose. If the glass feels solid, I'd light the stove.

Yes, do get someone to tighten that bolt. The idea is that you don't want air to leak in. But if the burn is normal (I presume the glass has been loose like this all the time), and the glass is not moving, you'll be ok for now.

I threw another split on and I am just sitting here with a beer listening to Christmas music and letting the world go by...Yes...It's a nice stove and I am happy with it and just wondering when that blower will turn on for it has not yet..Temperature right now is 325...picture coming..clancey

stove buring 009.JPG

If the flames are a little bit can I throw in another log or do I need to wait for it to go out completely..Just wondering so I can get on my sheet metal outfit with gloves--kidding--lol clancey

No need to sign each of your posts with your name...... It shows who you are to the left on your post by itself.
Throw another split or 2 or 3 on as you see fit!

yea your probably right but I was just so used to it but it seems stupid I guess because the name is on the left maybe I will just drop it at the end--this might be easier--but a name is very important to me like everyone and sometimes I want to put some adjectives with it just a stupid thing or style that I do no big thing but your way would be easier but it would crimp my style--lol..Now I will put in a few more splits and enjoy my "coffee"--maybe just two more after I peek into the stove--hoping things stay still and not fly out...lol lol...thanks...old clancey

Getting addicted here--listening to my radio with my feet up and drinking my beverage and its 1200am and I just put in three more splits and temperature now of stove is 375 so good night everyone and I am enjoying the view and tender heat..clancey

stove burning 001.JPG stove burning 011.JPG stove burning 009.JPG

Had a very nice night burning my wood stove and did it just in time for a warming trend is coming according to the reports..I seem to be having trouble keeping the temperature over 400 degrees and I moved the gauge around the different stove areas and the hottest one was just on top of a cooking burner...I also have a top for the stove cast iron heavy piece that goes over the burners and when that is in place on top of the stove the fire seems less powerful in the stove box...My blower comes on very late maybe a hour until I can get the temperature up to 375-400 so it seems to work by temperature..I like my stove but taking a look at some of its features now especially since the glass seems to get dirty every time I light a fire and they advertised something in regard to this and keeping the glass clean with air or something--does not work...Also the air vent piece that you pull out or push in seems to work best set about 1/4 but their design is not good for it gets very hot and should be somewhere else to keep the handle cool..One thing about this stove is it throws off very little smoke out stack and this is good. Last night I used 10 pieces of oak 16 inch kilned dried and sat there until early in the morning with the fire--beautiful flames and I wonder the difference between the dancing blue flames to the yellow orange ones dancing around--wishing the window stayed cleaner and this "if it worked" could be a real selling point with any wood burning stove...I like my stove and I am now addicted..old mrs clancey

new ttove burning 028.JPG new ttove burning 018.JPG new ttove burning 004.JPG new ttove burning 033.JPG new ttove burning 034.JPG

That is a single-wall, stove pipe thermometer, not a stove top thermometer. The red range is for stove pipe. 500º on the cook plate is just getting hot. The stove is still being run too cool. With a larger fire the glass should clear up.

Reactions: clancey
Now I find out that's why it has a second reading on the meter and I was wondering what that was about....Thanks for the info--great....I even put this thing in the oven when I did some bread and it was 100 degrees off on the high side--so I will work on this and guess what? SNOW is coming...Time for more fires...yes...clancey lol

This time try the same as yesterday, but with 2 or 3 splits on the bottom instead of one.

i sure will and that might get more air to the bottom of the wood too---thinking about that and will make adjustments and see what happens--have stopped burning the mixed wood for it registering just too moist for me about 17-18% so just using kiln dried oak which seems to burn hotter too...I need to use the pieces that I have "splits" because I cannot tap it split more with my ax (poster suggested) for i am just not strong enough to do that to take a proper reading of moisture that would be easier for me. I will get some more kindling too for i do not really like newspapers and I worry about all the ink and stuff that they have on it now as well as looking in there and seeing a big blob of paper that burned up--then it flies out at you too...Oh I have my problems -lol----But yes--Snow is coming....OBOY OBOY clancey...

Don't forget to stock up on your favorite beverage as well🍺