Stove Making Noise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Madfish

Oct 18, 2012
Southern Maine
My 55-TRP22 started making a noise last night. Sounds like an auger may need lubrication? Or something is scrapping inside the auger housing intermittently. Things are clean and the stove is burning fine with plenty of gest just a crazy noise.

Any ideas or thoughts?

The auger bearings (Part # PU-UCF204-12) are a sealed unit and do not require lubrication. Check to make sure nothing worked its way in there. Also check the set screw on collar make sure it is tight. You sure it is coming from the auger?

Is there carbon build up on the end of the lower auger?

Don2222 has done a nice write up in the removal of burr's within the auger cylinder and the auger shaft. Search his recent posts for his detailed thread.

Not a 100% but it seems like a logical place to start given the nose is always intermittent and is a slow and drawn out howl/moaning sound like the auger is turning or rubbing on something. It occurs about every 3-5 minutes. The auger is still pushing pellets freely.

i found a frozen bearing on the upper and a very stiff one on the lower auger in the 25 pdv i just bought used .

they do have zerk fittings on them but it apears to me that they are for the "floating" function of the bearing in the pillow block

my lower auger motor was stoppping after it got hot , the gearbox was noisy also so i replaced it w/ the other motor i found on this site

i also "touched" the augers w/ a grinder for a mild deburr while i was there

went through the whole unit . cleaned , cleaned , cleaned and reassembled

both the upper and lower augers in my stove occasionally groans as it turns , i assume that as they are pushing pellets through , they float in the pivoting pillow block and get pushed against the auger bore , making noise

very simple piece of equipment to work on for sure

Is there carbon build up on the end of the lower auger?​

I clean the wear plate daily on my 25 PDVC, but the lower auger will begin "Talking" to me if I let it go for more than 7 days between cleaning or scraping the auger tube.

The carbon builds up on mine mostly at the five o'clock area of the auger tube.

Status
Not open for further replies.