Q&A stove pads / wall protection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

About ten years ago, I installed an airtight fireplace on a matching floor pad/wall protection set.

The set consisted of two precast sections of a mixture of asbestos and some other non combustible binder, perhaps even a mortar mix, since the slabs were very heavy. The sections had a brick and mortar finish. The shorter section was the stove pad and the longer the wall protection. Both were obviously formed on molds and the wall unit had the appropriate stand-off distance from the combustible wall, with unobtrusive air slots at the base and top. Installation was simple. The back of the floor pad butted against the wall and the wall section stood on the back edge of the floor pad. The top of the wall section only required metal clips to secure it fro falling forward The floor pad provided in excess of 16" in front of the loading doors and the wall section stood about 60" high. With shielded chimney sections the whole installation was simple, quick, and complied with fire codes.

Asbestos based products are out. I have purchased a home with an airtight. My insurer requires a new floor pad and wall protection. My old supplier is out of business. I can't find a similar product.

There are a few companies that make prefab boards, but they have become much less popular. There were a lot of problems with breakage in shipment and during installation. Therefore, most people use site-built ones these days...brick, stone, tile on durarock, etc.

Answer:

Try R-CO at (716) 763-1825

and Yoder Hearth Classics at 866-881-7237

Hargrove Hearth Pads (800) 725-4166

Link: Yoder's

Link: Hargrove Hearth Pads

Status
Not open for further replies.