Stove Paint - need your help! Automotive vs. Stove Paint??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrekel

Jan 27, 2010
Colchester, CT
Just bought a great Pacific Energy Super 27. Asked the store we bought it from to paint it Vermont Castings/Cobalt Blue. Instead, they painted it light sky blue. Blech!
Going to live with it for now, but looking for recommendations on how to properly repaint this stove, and then the BEST high temp paint to use. Should I use automotive paint? Or just regular stove paint? They used Stove Bright, and I am disappointed, because it is already chipping in places around the top.

Thanks!
Matt

I used stove paint last year on my 1557 and it's just kinda gone. So this time I got header paint to try....

I know it didn't answer your? but thought I would share....

About 20 years ago I painted my Quadrafire 3100 with Stove Bright "Goldenfire Brown". Top of the stove was used for drying, steaming, placing tools, etc. The paint never chipped or scratched. However, after about 6 or 7 years it did fade so the top had to be repainted. The double wall stove pipe at the time was also painted with the same paint and 15 years later it still looked like new.

I would guess that if the paint on your freshly painted stove is chipping already it is probably due to one of these reasons: 1) Paint was not properly seasoned after application; 2) Surface of stove was not properly prepared prior to painting; 3) Paint was applied as a thick one coat application. Forrest Paint recommends multiple thin coats; 4) Too much paint was applied.

Forrest Paint has a helpful User's Guide on their site about applying their paints. Check this out: http://forrestpaint.com/index.php?page=stove-bright-User-guide

Would recommend you check very carefully about safety issues before using a non-stove paint on a stove. John_M

I used hi temp automotive paint on an old insert and it looks great and the black color has not changed a bit. Prep is important but at the end of the day, you're painting metal that gets hot. Any paint that is recommended for metal that gets hot should work. You can tell I'm no paint expert.

I can't speak to the automotive paints, but I can say that i have had better luck with the brush on stove paints compared to the spray can ones.

I found the spray ones to have extreme overspray (pretty much need to do it outside) as I found black dust everywhere in the basement.

Most importantly, the spray on paint didn't look that great anymore by 1/2 way through the first season. Already there were spots that were turning white (burning off).

The next year I used the brushable stuff and that held up great.

pen

Definately use the high heat stove paint.

Rustoleum makes a high heat paint but not sure of the color selection (have seen flat black)

Forrest paint company makes the "Stove bright" this paint is designed to work well on the hot surfaces (1200F) and not burn off and stink up the house when the stove is burning.

Recently I purchased a used Whitfield pellet stove and was in need of some paint.

Called Forrest paint and got the distributors name in the area then followed up through them to find a local retailer.

The secret to getting "Stove bright" to stick well and stay is to lightly sand the metal surfaces good to "rough them slightly" and then clean the surfaces with a material like Prepsol or other degreaser material that will remove any oils, silicones or other contaminates from the surfaces.

Most stoves dont get the best paint jobs in the world for sure.

Many are completely assembled, then shot with all panels in place.

It takes a while to do a good paint job.

Best thing is to do it outside and then place a fire and "COOK" the thing and season the paint.
This will eliminate the nasty smell in the house when you place the first fire..

Stay away from the automotive paints for your stove. Stove paint was designed for the application specifically.

Best

Snowy

Status
Not open for further replies.