Stove pipe advice needed please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Desertmountains

Dec 15, 2022
Usa
Hi, I have found this forum looking for ways to set up my stove. I live in a small cinder block house. It’s similar to an efficiency, it has one main room and then a bathroom and a closet. I’ve been wanting to install a small wood stove for a few years now. Because in the winter the cinderblock walls stay cold and the place is hard to keep warm. It’s small, about 300 sq ft. I came across a small wood stove for sale recently that included about 4 feet of duravent single wall pipe, and then one of the duravent telescopic double wall pieces as well. The guy told me there were adapters to connect single and double wall pipe. Looking online there are several links that suggest the same thing, that an adapter can be used to join single and double wall stove pipe, but I have not been able to find one. Do they exist? I think I would need an adapter to attach the straight single wall pipe to the first 45 degree double wall elbow I plan to use. Is there a way to use single wall pipe inside and then switch to double wall for outside? I wanted to use single inside to get more heat. Also I planned on venting through the wall. Actually there are two windows set into the cinderblock wall. I plan to remove one and replace it with a sheet of metal, and vent the stove pipe through there. I would like to use double wall 45 degree elbows to make for a better draft hopefully. I had planned to use single wall up to the first 45 degree elbow, then switch to double wall to go through the metal sheet, then one of the 45 degree elbows, and a straight run of double wall to get a few feet above my roof eave, and then a chimney cap. I would also like to know if it is ok to use the black double wall stove pipe for the outside portion of the chimney? I’m asking because it is cheaper, and the duravent chimney pipe I find online seems to be mostly triple wall. I was hoping with my small stove, I could get by with just double walled stove pipe. Even though it’s not galvanized, we get less than ten inches of rain here. I don’t think rust will be an issue. I was trying to be detailed, hope I didn’t make it more confusing. This is a new topic for me, some of my ideas might be way off, If anyone has any pointers I would sure appreciate it! Thanks

Hi, I have found this forum looking for ways to set up my stove. I live in a small cinder block house. It’s similar to an efficiency, it has one main room and then a bathroom and a closet. I’ve been wanting to install a small wood stove for a few years now. Because in the winter the cinderblock walls stay cold and the place is hard to keep warm. It’s small, about 300 sq ft. I came across a small wood stove for sale recently that included about 4 feet of duravent single wall pipe, and then one of the duravent telescopic double wall pieces as well. The guy told me there were adapters to connect single and double wall pipe. Looking online there are several links that suggest the same thing, that an adapter can be used to join single and double wall stove pipe, but I have not been able to find one. Do they exist? I think I would need an adapter to attach the straight single wall pipe to the first 45 degree double wall elbow I plan to use. Is there a way to use single wall pipe inside and then switch to double wall for outside? I wanted to use single inside to get more heat. Also I planned on venting through the wall. Actually there are two windows set into the cinderblock wall. I plan to remove one and replace it with a sheet of metal, and vent the stove pipe through there. I would like to use double wall 45 degree elbows to make for a better draft hopefully. I had planned to use single wall up to the first 45 degree elbow, then switch to double wall to go through the metal sheet, then one of the 45 degree elbows, and a straight run of double wall to get a few feet above my roof eave, and then a chimney cap. I would also like to know if it is ok to use the black double wall stove pipe for the outside portion of the chimney? I’m asking because it is cheaper, and the duravent chimney pipe I find online seems to be mostly triple wall. I was hoping with my small stove, I could get by with just double walled stove pipe. Even though it’s not galvanized, we get less than ten inches of rain here. I don’t think rust will be an issue. I was trying to be detailed, hope I didn’t make it more confusing. This is a new topic for me, some of my ideas might be way off, If anyone has any pointers I would sure appreciate it! Thanks
You need to use chimney pipe to go through the wall and any outside pipe. Double wall stove pipe is not acceptable