Stove pipe between furnace and water heater?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NoPaint

Feeling the Heat
Jan 2, 2009
USA
One way to get the stove pipe from where I want to put a stove and to the port in the chimney is to run between the water heater and the furnace return duct. I don't think this is OK. So my question is - if I use double wall it should be cool enough to run that route - but now I am unsure if it would be ok to have a foot coming out of stove, a 45, 2-3 more feet, and another 45 into the chimney. Too long to maintain a draft? Too long to start a draft? Won't even fire?

What are your clearances?

One way to get the stove pipe from where I want to put a stove and to the port in the chimney is to run between the water heater and the furnace return duct. I don't think this is OK. So my question is - if I use double wall it should be cool enough to run that route - but now I am unsure if it would be ok to have a foot coming out of stove, a 45, 2-3 more feet, and another 45 into the chimney. Too long to maintain a draft? Too long to start a draft? Won't even fire?
How much rise is there in that 5' that is what matters and what clearances do you have

Yea, the rise HAS to be there or it will be bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.